Diane Hill
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Woman seriously burned pouring petrol in kitchen

A woman was badly burned when petrol ignited in the kitchen of her York home as she was pouring it into a jug.

Diane Hill, 46, suffered 40% burns in the accident at her home in Moorgate, Acomb, on Thursday evening. The cooker, on at the time, ignited the fuel.

A fire service spokesman said: "Her daughter asked her mum for petrol because she had run out. The cooker was on and the fumes ignited."

The accident came two days after government minister Francis Maude suggested that motorists take the "sensible precaution" of filling up jerry cans and keeping them in the garage.

Judith Moritz reports.

  • 30 Mar 2012
Go to next video: Fuel strike over Easter ruled out by union