Reuben Harvey-Smith
Media playback is unsupported on your device

Toxic shock warning: Toddler lost legs after misdiagnosis

A toddler had to have both his legs and seven of his fingers amputated after doctors failed to spot the warning signs of toxic shock syndrome.

Reuben Harvey-Smith, now three, was rushed to hospital after accidentally burning himself at home last summer.

When he later developed the bacterial infection, it was initially misdiagnosed as tonsillitis - Ipswich Hospital Trust have accepted full liability.

His mum Louise is now keen to raise awareness and told the Victoria Derbyshire programme how she and her son were remaining positive.

  • 22 Aug 2016
Go to next video: Toxic shock campaign after death