Smoke alarm alerts sleeping household to kitchen fire

fire in JerseyImage source, Jersey Fire and Rescue Service
Image caption,

A working smoke alarm alerted a household to a kitchen fire

  • Published

Residents of a property in Jersey were alerted to a fire in their kitchen in the early hours of Friday by a smoke alarm, the island's fire service has said.

Two fire engines were sent to the building in St John.

The fire had been caused by a pan and a chopping board left on a cooking hob.

The residents were woken up by the smoke alarm and then called 999, the service said.

Richard Ryan, watch commander, said: "This incident highlights that having a working smoke alarm can and will save lives."

loading features stories