NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Staff member taken to hospital after chlorine tank leak

A 23-year-old man has been treated in hospital in Aberdeen following a gas leak at a gym.

The incident happened at the David Lloyd club in Aberdeen at about 1500 BST after reports a chlorine tank near the swimming pool had started to leak.

A member of staff was taken to the city's Royal Infirmary for treatment amid concern he had inhaled chemical fumes.

People had to wait for more than two hours before the all clear was given.

A Grampian Police spokesman said: "An exclusion zone around the location was implemented and a large number of members of the public, including members of staff, were evacuated, pending a full assessment by Grampian Fire and Rescue Service."

An initial report into the incident confirmed there was a minor spillage of chemicals within a confined area.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites