Sir Ranulph Fiennes charged after crash in Stockport

  • Published
Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Image caption,
Sir Ranulph is due to appear before magistrates later this year

Explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes has been charged with a driving offence after a car crash in Stockport, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

Sir Ranulph, the oldest Briton to reach the summit of Mount Everest, was injured when his Jaguar was in collision with two cars on 6 March.

The 66-year-old has been charged with driving without due care and attention, the CPS said.

He is due to appear at Stockport Magistrates' Court later this year.

CPS lawyer Nicholas Beckett said: "Having carefully reviewed a file of evidence passed to me by Greater Manchester Police, I have concluded that there is sufficient evidence, and it is in the public interest, to charge Sir Ranulph Fiennes with driving without due care and attention."

The crash took place on the A6, near the junction with Dundonald Street in Heaviley, at about 1400 GMT.

Marathon completed

Sir Ranulph's car was in collision with a Nissan Micra travelling in the opposite direction, then a Ford Focus, before it mounted a pavement and came to a halt near the front window of an Italian restaurant.

The male driver of the Micra suffered serious injuries including collapsed lungs, broken ribs and a broken leg.

A five-year-old passenger in the Micra suffered minor injuries.

The explorer had competed in the 42-mile High Peak Marathon in Derbyshire the evening before the crash.

Sir Ranulph was the first man to visit both the North and South Poles by foot and the first to completely cross Antarctica by foot.

Last May, at the age of 65, he climbed to the top of Everest, the world's highest peak, to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.

He also ran seven marathons on seven continents in seven days in 2003, and climbed the treacherous north face of the Eiger in 2007.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.