An investigation is under way into a fire in Newhaven that destroyed the town's Conservative club.
The blaze swept through the building in South Way at 0150 BST on Saturday and was brought under control 10 hours later.
The crews' efforts were hampered after the roof of the property caved in. One firefighter was treated in hospital after breaking a bone in his hand.
Residents in neighbouring homes were led to safety as a precaution.
Sussex Police said there was no "immediate evidence" to suggest the fire was deliberate but the investigation was at an early stage.
Carla Butler, of Newhaven Town Council, said: "A lot of organisations use it and it's part of Newhaven and part of its history
"It's a community asset and it's really sad to see what has happened."
Graeme Roberts plays in local rock band, Caution, who lost £5,000 worth of equipment in the fire.
He said: "Everybody is obviously shocked.
"Equipment can be replaced, we just hope the club can as well."