Stoke & Staffordshire

Investigation into Tamworth chemical leak

An investigation has been started into a chemical leak at a frozen food distribution centre in which 28 people were injured.

It is thought ammonia leaked from a pipe causing one man to suffer 15% burns at Brakes in Bonehill Road, Tamworth on Friday.

Others suffered breathing difficulties and seven were taken to hospital.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is looking into how it happened.

A spokesman for Brakes, which is also holding an investigation into the incident, said the leak occurred during routine maintenance.

Several nearby roads were sealed off by police causing severe congestion around Tamworth town centre on Friday afternoon.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites