A woman and child had to be rescued from an Aberdeen flat fire which is being treated as suspicious.
The pair - aged 33 and nine - were rescued from a first floor window of the property on Clifton Road at about 0420 BST as the front door was on fire.
They were treated for smoke inhalation at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
Grampian Fire and Rescue Service station manager Graeme Goonan told BBC Scotland it was a "harrowing" experience for those involved.
A joint fire and police investigation has been launched.