Six people treated after fires in Newport and Wrexham


Five people were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at a house in Newport on Saturday morning.

They managed to escape the blaze in the three storey house on Commercial Road at around 0730 BST.

A fire investigation has started.

Meanwhile, a man was rescued from a kitchen fire at a flat in Tanyfron, Wrexham at 0720 BST, caused by unattended pans. A neighbour had heard a smoke alarm.

The fire broke out in St Albans Road and the man, 32, was found by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

He received precautionary oxygen therapy from paramedics at the scene after the fire involving his grill pan and frying pan.

'Extremely lucky'

Andy Robb from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "Once again we have seen that smoke alarms really can save lives.

"If the sound of the alarm had not alerted his vigilant neighbour, this man could easily have slept through the fire, risking tragic consequences by breathing in the smoke.

"He was extremely lucky as the smoke detector in his living room was not working and he was saved by a second detector in the stairwell of the property."

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.