Landlord shot in Bilston was 'innocent bystander'
A licensee shot and killed outside his bar in the West Midlands was an innocent bystander hit by a bullet fired at someone else, a court heard.
Swinder Singh Batth, 47, was shot in July last year outside Gavin's Sports Bar in The Orchard, Bilston, Wolverhampton.
Six men and a woman all deny a charge of murder.
The prosecution said there had been an earlier row outside the bar over a laser pen being shone towards a car.
Prosecuting, Christopher Hotten QC, said the row, involving five men who got out of a Seat Alhambra car, had ended when a sixth man was summoned from the car.
The man produced a gun and fired a shot towards a group of people outside the bar, he said.
The shot hit Mr Batth in the chest and he died within minutes.
Mr Hotten added it was unlikely Mr Batth was the intended target.
The defendants are:
- Jasbir Singh Takhar, 23, of Birmingham New Road, Coseley
- Neesha Dubb, 20, of Western Drive, Bilston
- Onkar Singh Sangha, 22, of Babors Field, Bilston
- Narinder Kumar , 26, of Slade Close, West Bromwich
- Sukwinder Singh Sanghera, 24, of Albion Road, West Bromwich
- Jarnal Singh Bajwa, 35, of Bickley Road, Bilston
- Gurpreet Singh Ottalan, 22, of Western Driven, Bilston
The trial at Birmingham Crown Court continues.