Residents return to homes after Mirfield garage fire

  • Published
Smoke from the fire
Image caption,
The fire sent a plume of smoke over the town

Dozens of people who had to leave their homes after a fire at a commercial garage in Mirfield have returned to their properties.

Firefighters found acetylene cylinders being stored in the premises in Savile Place on Sunday.

About 200 homes were evacuated over fears the cylinders could explode and Mirfield Sports Centre was converted into overnight accommodation.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes on Monday evening.

A West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "A fire investigation officer will be working in conjunction with the police to establish the cause of fire, however at this stage it is too early to say whether or not it is being treated as suspicious."

It is thought the cylinders will be removed from the site.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.