Homes evacuated after Burnley garage fire


More than 100 homes in Burnley had to be evacuated when a fire broke out in a garage containing gas cylinders.

A mechanic, who was trapped behind a car at the garage in a converted factory on Manchester Road, was rescued by fire officers and given oxygen.

Residents from 40 of the homes were forced to spend the night with relatives, or at the town's St Peter's Centre, a fire service spokesman said.

He said the hot cylinders posed a "very serious explosives danger".

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service spent 18 hours at the scene and used eight appliances to bring the fire under control and safely cool the cylinders.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.