Hundreds of football fans in Bristol watched England's first game through a fence after they were left queuing for the city's World Cup big screen.
A "fan park" for up to 11,000 fans had been set up in Queen Square, but this was not big enough to accommodate all those wanting to see Saturday's match.
Plastic sheeting was torn from the security fence so fans outside could see in.
A council spokesman said the majority of fans were well-behaved.
Simon Cook, the council's executive member for sport, said: "We've had a huge turnout. We've had to turn people away which is unfortunate.
"When we reach capacity in health and safety terms we just have to close the doors and obviously there are a lot of disappointed people.
"We are sorry about that, but we have always said to the police that we will be very careful about numbers and make sure that we don't have any more people in the square than we can handle.
"Having said that, I think people have been really well behaved. They're very boisterous and very loud, but hey, this is the World Cup."
He said there would be a meeting on Monday to review the situation before further matches.
Inspector Nick Hunt, of Avon and Somerset Police, said there had been no more arrests than on a normal Saturday night.
He said: "We are well aware of problems in terms of volume of people wanting to look at the screen, but overall we are not aware of a large number of arrests."