The head of a Sussex animal rescue charity is recovering at home after being bitten by an adder.
Trevor Weeks collapsed after being bitten as he tried to free the reptile from netting.
Mr Weeks, the director of the Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (WRAS), said he suffered an "almost fatal but rare reaction".
Doctors at the Royal Sussex County Hospital administered emergency aid to counteract the venomous bite.
Mr Weeks said: "I would like to thank the nurses, the paramedics, as well as the doctors and nurses for their expert care and attention in looking after me so well.
"It cannot have been easy for my girlfriend Kathy being told that I might not make it, so thank you for being there."
Mr Weeks, who was not wearing gloves, said he did not want people to be worried about snakes in their gardens following Saturday's attack.
He said: "Less than 1 in 5 bites are venomous, normally the first bite is a warning.
"In situations like this rescuers are more at risk and examining (the snake) for wounds cannot be done with thick gloves on either."