Family's anguish over Derby medic delay

image captionMelissa Procter-Blaine (left) collapsed in the pub in July 2009

A paramedic who allegedly delayed helping a dying woman "might as well not have turned up" the dead woman's stepfather said.

Melissa Procter-Blaine, 32, collapsed at The Crown Inn, Spondon, Derby, on 12 July 2009 and later died in hospital from a blood clot on her lung.

The paramedic who was first on the scene had initially refused to go into the pub to treat Ms Procter-Blaine.

East Midland Ambulance Service (EMAS) said the coroner was investigating.

In their statement EMAS said: "Highly skilled crews were dispatched in a fast response vehicle and ambulance.

"The fast response vehicle arrived on scene within six minutes and the ambulance within ten minutes of the call being picked up in control.

"Our solo responder took the emergency kit from her vehicle and entered the premises where the atmosphere was tense and intimidating.

"The Coroner will be investigating this case and so it is not appropriate for us to make further comment at this time."

But Mr Page said the family had many questions that needed addressing about the initial treatment of the mother-of-three.

He said: "The family want answers.

"We're having to live with this and the children are having to live with it.

"It's something we will have to find a happy medium with."

He said the paramedic had to be persuaded to go into the pub to help the mother-of-three.

He said: "At first she didn't want to come into the pub until the landlord assured her it was OK."

"For what she did she might as well not have turned up."

'Guarantee safety'

And Mr Page said that if first responder staff could not help then "they may as well leave it to the ambulance people"

Pub manager Kevin Pearson, 35, said at the time: "The paramedic was not willing to come up to the pub.

"I banged on the window of the car and she said 'I'm not going in there on my own'.

"I said we needed her to help and she said 'can you guarantee my safety?'.

"She said 'OK, then I will go on your word' and she came up. She said it was an intimidating atmosphere."

In the meantime Mr Pearson said a customer was giving CPR to Miss Procter-Blaine, guided by ambulance call centre staff over the phone.

A date for an inquest into Ms Procter-Blaine's death has yet to be set.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.