'Territorial' gang killers of Kieran Crawford jailed

Image caption, Kieran Crawford died for being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Three men have each been jailed for 10 years over the death of a 22-year-old in a gang-related killing.

Kieran Crawford was punched, kicked and attacked with poles, bottles and bricks before being stabbed.

Craig Dodwell, 20, James McLauchlan, 21, and David McKay, 24, had previously admitted culpable homicide.

They were originally charged with murdering Mr Crawford in Glasgow, but pled guilty to the lesser charge midway through their trial.

Lord Turnbull told the High Court in Glasgow that the three had taken part in "utterly horrendous violence".

He said: "As a society we will not accept violent conduct in our city streets by young men."

Vicious assault

The death showed "how dangerous it is to become involved in gang-related violence," Lord Turnbull added.

The court had heard Mr Crawford, from Roystonhill, may have been attacked simply because he was walking through the neighbouring area of Germiston.

He was in Forge Street on 24 May last year with some friends after they had watched the SPL title decider on television.

Mr Crawford was subjected to a vicious assault as he lay on the ground.

He was kicked, punched and struck with weapons including a knife, brick and metal pole.

As he slumped over a garden fence, he was hit repeatedly by McLauchlan and another man.

The unconscious victim was taken to hospital suffering from a number of injuries including two stab wounds.

Vital artery

One had penetrated his lung and slit a vital artery. He was pronounced dead later that day.

However, the Crown accepted during the trial that the knife had not been wielded by any of the accused.

A 14-year-old boy also admitted assaulting Mr Crawford by punching him on the face. He was placed on probation for two years and ordered to be electronically tagged for six months.

Steven Gracey, 20, of Germiston, also had his not guilty plea to the murder accepted and he instead admitted to an assault on Mr Crawford's friend Andrew Bain. He was jailed for a year.

Mr Bain was run down by a Land Rover which was driven over his arm before he was attacked by Gracey.

The court was told all five accused were remorseful about their part in Mr Crawford's death.

More on this story