Wales

Man who died in Caernarfon flat fire is named

Scene of fire in Caernarfon
Image caption Fire officials warned of the dangers of leaving candles unattended

A man who died following a flat fire caused by a tealight has been named.

Gwyn Lloyd Roberts, 46, of Caernarfon, was pulled out of the building in Caernarfon by firefighters but died at the scene.

North Wales fire service were called to the flat above a newsagents in Pool Street just after 0240 BST on Sunday morning.

Fire officials are warning of the dangers of leaving candles unattended following the incident.

A post mortem examination was carried out on Monday and an inquest into Mr Roberts' death has been opened and adjourned.

Firefighters rescued two women and a middle-aged man from the flat above JL Roberts newsagents, but Mr Roberts died from his injuries at the scene.

The cause of the fire is thought to be a lit tealight which was left unattended.

Following the blaze, fire officials have warned of the potentially fatal danger of leaving candles unattended.

Two fire crews from Caernarfon and one from Llanberis attended the scene after being alerted by calls from the public.

Richard Fairhead, senior fire safety manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Firstly, I would like to pass on my condolences and deepest sympathy to the friends and family of this gentleman who has sadly lost his life.

"As a result of this tragedy, we are once again appealing to all residents in north Wales to keep themselves and their families as safe as possible from fire.

"The cause of the fire is thought to be a tealight left unattended. It is vitally important that residents never leave a candle unattended and remember to extinguish it before going to sleep."

Smoke inhalation

Firefighters are giving fire safety advice and conducting free home fire safety checks.

Last night they were called out to a fire in Tregarth, Gwynedd, caused by an electric blanket.

Two people in their 50s suffered smoke inhalation and were treated at the scene.

Mr Fairhead added: "Residents can drastically reduce the risk of having a fire in their home by following some basic fire safety rules and having working smoke alarms fitted in their homes.

"North Wales Fire and Rescue Service offer free home fire safety checks for all residents in north Wales."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites