Two arrested over teenager's death in Wigan pond

Image caption, Dylan Aaron's family said he had "a promising future"

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a 17-year-old boy died in a pond in Wigan, Greater Manchester.

Police were called to the pond on Ladies Lane, Hindley, at about 0350 BST on Sunday after reports of an assault. Witnesses said a boy had gone into the water.

The body of Dylan Aaron, from Margaret Street, Hindley, was recovered from the pond at about 0805 BST.

The men, aged 26 and 34, have also been held on suspicion of assault.

They remain in police custody for questioning.

'Tragic incident'

Greater Manchester Police said Dylan's body was recovered from the pond by a police underwater search team after a fire and rescue water incident unit failed to trace him.

A post-mortem examination is due to take place later.

Police said a second boy received minor injuries in the incident.

In a statement, Dylan's family said: "Dylan was only 17 years old and he was our eldest son.

Image caption, Police said their investigation was in its "early stages"

"None of us can understand why this happened.

"He was a young man with a promising future and all of us will miss him dearly, especially his brothers and sisters.

"We all loved him so much."

Supt Phil Unsworth said: "This is a tragic incident where a 17-year-old boy has lost his life in unexplained circumstances.

"Our investigation is still in the very early stages and there are a number of questions yet to be answered but a team of detectives are working hard to establish exactly what happened."

He said officers had been speaking to people who were at the pond on Saturday night but that there were still "gaps to fill".

"I want to commend the actions of those at the scene who tried to help save the boy," he said.

The force appealed for anyone with information about the incident to contact officers.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.