A science teacher who attacked a 14-year-old boy with a dumbbell has been sacked from his job.
Peter Harvey, 50, was given a two-year community order on Monday at Nottingham Crown Court.
He had admitted attacking the pupil at All Saints' Roman Catholic School in Mansfield in July 2009.
Harvey was provoked by pupils during a lesson, the trial jury was told last month. Pupils called him names including "psycho".
Harvey lost control and hit the boy about the head with the 3kg weight while shouting "die, die, die", jurors were told.
The teacher, who had previously been signed off with depression for several months, was found not guilty of attempted murder at a trial.
However, he had pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm without intent.
Following the sentencing, his union, the NASUWT, said it hoped the school's governors and Nottinghamshire County Council would allow the married father-of-two to retire on the grounds of ill health.
However, on Thursday the union said he had been sacked.
A spokeswoman for Nottinghamshire County Council said: "We are not making any comment at this stage as there is a possibility of an appeal and we must not say anything that could prejudice that."
In a statement, the union said Harvey had "dedicated the best part of his working-life to the school".
The teacher of more than 20 years remained full of remorse for the attack, which left the boy with a fractured skull and limited hearing in his right ear.
Chris Keates, general secretary of the NASUWT, said: "He has suffered imprisonment, endured a harrowing trial and been convicted. His career is in ruins and he has no income.
"His wife and two school age children, all with their own health problems, have had their world turned upside down.
She said that ill-health retirement which would be "completely appropriate" in the circumstances.
"His employers have not even allowed him to be dismissed with a period of notice and a modicum of dignity.
She said the NASUWT would now take advice on any legal action open to him.