Life term for Ayr cross-dressing killer

Image caption, Ms McGrand's body was found at her home in Ayr

A man who killed his half-brothers fiancee because he feared she would reveal he was a cross-dresser has been jailed for at least 20 years.

Gavin Boyd, 50, suffocated 20-year-old Vikki McGrand at her home in Wellington Square, Ayr, in August 2008.

The sex attacker was electronically tagged when he killed Miss McGrand after she refused to hand over a DVD of him dressed as a woman.

At the High Court in Glasgow, Lord Turnbull jailed Boyd for life.

The court heard that Boyd and Miss McGrand had been friends and she even offered to help him with his make-up when he dressed up as a woman.

Boyd said he had previously taken nude photographs of her in her flat which she wanted to send to adult magazines to make money.

Miss McGrand was said to have taken a DVD of Boyd which showed him wearing a red PVC skirt, suspenders, boots and a silver tiara.

The court heard that on 26 August 2008, Boyd met up with Miss McGrand in a pub in Ayr before going back to her flat.

When she refused to hand over the DVD, Boyd, from Ayr, punched her on the head, knocked her to the ground, tied a Playstation cable round her neck and then pressed a pillow over her face, smothering her.

After the murder Boyd, who was out on licence from a previous sex attack, ripped off his electronic tag.

He then left the flat and fled to Cumbria, England, before returning to Ayr days later.

Blackmail claim

When interviewed by police, he told officers that Miss McGrand had asked for cash for the return of the DVD and threatened to show the pictures to his niece.

During his trial Boyd admitted being in Miss McGrand's flat the night she died, but claimed that she was uninjured when he left.

The jury at his trial did not believe this, however, and he was found guilty of murder.

Passing sentence, Lord Turnbull told Boyd: "You took the life of an innocent young woman. There is an evil within you that cannot be controlled."

He jailed Boyd for life and told him that he could not be considered for parole until he had serve 20 years, adding, "you may never be released".

It also emerged that Boyd was jailed for 10 years in 1999 for the assault to severe injury and permanent disfigurement and intent to rape of a 19-year-old girl.

He was ordered to be monitored in the community for 10 years on release and was electronically tagged in 2006.

But by the time he murdered Miss McGrand the tag was only activated at the weekends.

Speaking after the verdict, Geraldine Watt, area procurator fiscal for Ayrshire, said: "The murder of Vikki McGrand in her own home was a despicable breach of her trust.

"Gavin Boyd then fled to England in a futile attempt to escape justice. His cruelty caused needless suffering to Vikki and those who loved her and shocked the people of Ayr.

"Although nothing can bring her back, I hope that today's conviction brings some comfort to Ms McGrand's family and friends."

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.