Franz SchubertBorn 31 January 1797. Died 19 November 1828
Franz Schubert Biography (Wikipedia)
Franz Peter Schubert (31 January 1797 – 19 November 1828) was an Austrian composer of the late Classical and early Romantic eras. Despite his short lifetime, Schubert left behind a vast oeuvre, including more than 600 secular vocal works (mainly lieder), seven complete symphonies, sacred music, operas, incidental music and a large body of piano and chamber music. His major works include the Piano Quintet in A major, D. 667 (Trout Quintet), the Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D. 759 (Unfinished Symphony), the ”Great” Symphony No. 9 in C major, D. 944, the String Quintet (D. 956), the three last piano sonatas (D. 958–960), the opera Fierrabras (D. 796), the incidental music to the play Rosamunde (D. 797), and the song cycles Die schöne Müllerin (D. 795) and Winterreise (D. 911).
Born in the Himmelpfortgrund suburb of Vienna, Schubert's uncommon gifts for music were evident from an early age. His father gave him his first violin lessons and his elder brother gave him piano lessons, but Schubert soon exceeded their abilities. In 1808, at the age of eleven, he became a pupil at the Stadtkonvikt school, where he became acquainted with the orchestral music of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven. He left the Stadtkonvikt at the end of 1813, and returned home to live with his father, where he began studying to become a schoolteacher; despite this, he continued his studies in composition with Antonio Salieri and still composed prolifically. In 1821, Schubert was admitted to the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde as a performing member, which helped establish his name among the Viennese citizenry. He gave a concert of his own works to critical acclaim in March 1828, the only time he did so in his career. He died eight months later at the age of 31, the cause officially attributed to typhoid fever, but believed by some historians to be syphilis.
- Colin Currie: the disturbing and beautiful musical landscape of Schuberthttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06h3836.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06h3836.jpg2018-08-10T11:07:00.000ZSchubert's 'Lebenssturme' in A minor, for piano four hands, thrills and melts the heart.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06h36c8
Colin Currie: the disturbing and beautiful musical landscape of Schubert
- Schubert: Die schöne Müllerinhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p069qvwl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p069qvwl.jpg2018-06-11T10:28:00.000ZBuilding a Library surveys recordings of Schubert's Die schöne Müllerin.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p069qtv7
Schubert: Die schöne Müllerin
- Ilker Arcayürek sings Schubert's 'Der Lindenbaum'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p065k3v6.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p065k3v6.jpg2018-01-15T16:13:00.000ZTenor Ilker Arcayürek sings 'Der Lindenbaum' from Schubert's Winterreise D.911https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05tptbw
Ilker Arcayürek sings Schubert's 'Der Lindenbaum'
- Could this be the saddest goodbye song?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rqj0w.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rqj0w.jpg2018-01-12T15:14:00.000ZTenor Ilker Arcayürek sings Schubert's sorrowful 'Gute Nacht'https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05rpwt2
Could this be the saddest goodbye song?
- Schuberthttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rlvhm.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rlvhm.jpg2018-01-12T13:00:00.000ZThis week of programmes about Franz Schubert focuses on five years through his short lifehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05rtn6s
- How to be a successful singer... and still eat ice creamhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rqn59.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rqn59.jpg2017-12-21T14:44:00.000ZTenor Ilker Arcayürek talks about his life as a tenor and how he looks after his voicehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05rqjhv
How to be a successful singer... and still eat ice cream
- Schubert: Piano Sonata in B flat, D960https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vkltn.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vkltn.jpg2017-12-16T14:12:00.000ZBuilding a Library explores recordings of Schubert's Piano Sonata in B flat D960.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05r9myn
Schubert: Piano Sonata in B flat, D960
- Franz Schubert: String Quintet in C major – excerpt (PCM 8) (2017)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p059l2hx.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p059l2hx.jpg2017-09-06T09:09:00.000ZSchubert's final chamber work, for quartet plus an additional cello, is a piece of sublime beauty, composed only two months before the composer’s death at the age of just 31.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05f8ysp
Franz Schubert: String Quintet in C major – excerpt (PCM 8) (2017)
- Franz Schubert: Symphony No 8 in B minor 'Unfinished' – excerpt (2017)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p057qjw4.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p057qjw4.jpg2017-08-12T18:30:00.000ZHow do you solve a problem like an unfinished symphony? Chief Conductor of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Thomas Dausgaard offers two contrasting answers.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05cc4x8
Franz Schubert: Symphony No 8 in B minor 'Unfinished' – excerpt (2017)
- They named themselves after the Spanish red wine they were drinkinghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p058b2fx.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p058b2fx.jpg2017-07-10T17:17:00.000ZThe Navarra Quartet play Schubert's unfinished 'Quartettsatz'https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p058b269
They named themselves after the Spanish red wine they were drinking
- Anna Huntley and Sholto Kynoch give us a little nugget of Schubert goldhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0586hzx.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0586hzx.jpg2017-07-09T15:01:00.000ZAnna Huntley and Sholto Kynoch perform Schubert's Lied der Anne Lylehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0586hsj
Anna Huntley and Sholto Kynoch give us a little nugget of Schubert gold
- Bryn Terfel: 'Music is something that bridges gaps and transforms lives'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05638vs.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05638vs.jpg2017-06-15T16:17:00.000ZThe legendary bass-baritone helped us celebrate BBC Music Day 2017 with a performance of Schubert's "Auf dem Wasser zu singen" ("To sing on the water") live on In Tune.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056069f
Bryn Terfel: 'Music is something that bridges gaps and transforms lives'
- Schubert from Elizabeth Watts: 'My peace is gone, My heart is heavy'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055342w.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055342w.jpg2017-06-06T10:39:00.000ZSoprano Elizabeth Watts and pianist Audrey Hyland perform Gretchen am Spinnrade by Franz Schubert.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0553299
Schubert from Elizabeth Watts: 'My peace is gone, My heart is heavy'
- Matthew Rose sings from 'one of the greatest pieces of art ever created'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04p7xd7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04p7xd7.jpg2017-01-12T16:37:00.000ZMatthew Rose and Gary Matthewman perform Der Wegweiser and Das Wirtshaus from Schubert's Winterreise.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04p7xdz
Matthew Rose sings from 'one of the greatest pieces of art ever created'
- Schuberthttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05mtpnc.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05mtpnc.jpg2016-11-11T13:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the remarkable and prolific final year of Schubert's life.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04fykpb
- Stuart Cosgrove | My Musichttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04cmf3h.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04cmf3h.jpg2016-10-20T15:20:00.000ZStuart Cosgrove chooses Schubert's Ave Maria as sang by Stevie Wonder as his My Music.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04cmf80
Stuart Cosgrove | My Music
- Soothing Schubert song from baritone Marcus Farnsworthhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p042mv2g.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p042mv2g.jpg2016-07-26T10:12:00.000ZMarcus Farnsworth sings Liebesbotschaft from Schubert's Schwanengesang.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p042mv2y
Soothing Schubert song from baritone Marcus Farnsworth
Franz Schubert Tracks