Giuseppe Verdi Biography (Wikipedia)
Giuseppe Fortunino Francesco Verdi (9 or 10 October 1813 – 27 January 1901) was an Italian opera composer.
Verdi was born near Busseto to a provincial family of moderate means, and developed a musical education with the help of a local patron. Verdi came to dominate the Italian opera scene after the era of Bellini, Donizetti and Rossini, whose works significantly influenced him, becoming one of the pre-eminent opera composers in history.
In his early operas Verdi demonstrated a sympathy with the Risorgimento movement which sought the unification of Italy. He also participated briefly as an elected politician. The chorus "Va, pensiero" from his early opera Nabucco (1842), and similar choruses in later operas, were much in the spirit of the unification movement, and the composer himself became esteemed as a representative of these ideals. An intensely private person, Verdi however did not seek to ingratiate himself with popular movements and as he became professionally successful was able to reduce his operatic workload and sought to establish himself as a landowner in his native region. He surprised the musical world by returning, after his success with the opera Aida (1871), with three late masterpieces: his Requiem (1874), and the operas Otello (1887) and Falstaff (1893).
- Verdi: Requiem (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph65d.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph65d.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ph7t8
Verdi: Requiem (extract)
- Composer of the Week Verdi - his middle period.https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02k3rb8.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02k3rb8.jpg2015-02-27T13:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores Verdi's 'middle period'https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02kvt1l
Composer of the Week Verdi - his middle period.
- Verdi: The force of destiny - overturehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02d2j1x.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02d2j1x.jpg2014-11-29T13:13:00.000ZThe young Italian conductor Francesco Angelico makes his debut with the BBC NOW in a performance of Verdi's La Forza del Destino, live from Theatr Brycheiniog, Brecon.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02d2j2z
Verdi: The force of destiny - overture
- Giuseppe Verdi and his supportershttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021g7s9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021g7s9.jpg2014-06-23T09:21:00.000ZDonald Macleod looks at the personalities who helped Verdi achieve success.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p021g7sy
Giuseppe Verdi and his supporters
- Giuseppe Verdihttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p020dj4m.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p020dj4m.jpg2014-06-05T09:18:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the operas of Verdi.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p020dj4y
Giuseppe Verdi Tracks
Latest Giuseppe Verdi News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Rossini: The Barber of Seville
Puccini: La fanciulla del West
A little Rossini showstopper
Let Javier Camarena serenade you with his voice and guitar
Javier Camarena serenades us with a guitar and some Rossini
Proms interval talk: Rossini's Semiramide
Proms at...The Chapel, Old Royal Naval College
Rossini's Petite messe solennelle in 4 minutes
Live from Edinburgh's Big Blue Tent: Rebeca Olvera and John Osborn sing an impassioned duet from Norma
Rossini: Semiramide (extract)