Richard WagnerComposer. Born 22 May 1813. Died 13 February 1883
Richard Wagner Biography (Wikipedia)
Wilhelm Richard Wagner (, (listen); 22 May 1813 – 13 February 1883) was a German composer, theatre director, polemicist, and conductor who is chiefly known for his operas (or, as some of his mature works were later known, "music dramas"). Unlike most opera composers, Wagner wrote both the libretto and the music for each of his stage works. Initially establishing his reputation as a composer of works in the romantic vein of Carl Maria von Weber and Giacomo Meyerbeer, Wagner revolutionised opera through his concept of the Gesamtkunstwerk ("total work of art"), by which he sought to synthesise the poetic, visual, musical and dramatic arts, with music subsidiary to drama. He described this vision in a series of essays published between 1849 and 1852. Wagner realised these ideas most fully in the first half of the four-opera cycle Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung).
His compositions, particularly those of his later period, are notable for their complex textures, rich harmonies and orchestration, and the elaborate use of leitmotifs—musical phrases associated with individual characters, places, ideas, or plot elements. His advances in musical language, such as extreme chromaticism and quickly shifting tonal centres, greatly influenced the development of classical music. His Tristan und Isolde is sometimes described as marking the start of modern music.
- Some achingly beautiful Wagner from tenor Stuart Skeltonhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p052f3tl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p052f3tl.jpg2017-05-09T13:39:00.000ZAn In Tune first: tenor Stuart Skelton performs 'Traume' from Wagner's Wesendonck-Liederhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p052fhvk
Some achingly beautiful Wagner from tenor Stuart Skelton
- Chord Of The Week - Programme 7https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p046ml81.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p046ml81.jpg2016-09-03T19:00:00.000ZDavid Owen Norris examines Wagner’s Illegal chord.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046msjz
Chord Of The Week - Programme 7
- Richard Wagner: Lohengrin - Prelude to Act lllhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03q79j0.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03q79j0.jpg2016-08-28T18:30:00.000ZWith the West–Eastern Divan Orchestra conducted by Daniel Barenboim.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p045ml64
Richard Wagner: Lohengrin - Prelude to Act lll
- BBC Proms Ten Pieces II Wagner 'Ride of the Valkyries' with Christopher Ecclestonhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04287vd.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04287vd.jpg2016-07-22T14:54:00.000ZA short clip featuring Christopher Eccleston discussing Wagner's 'Ride'https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0428833
BBC Proms Ten Pieces II Wagner 'Ride of the Valkyries' with Christopher Eccleston
- BBC Proms Ten Pieces II Wagner 'Ride of the Valkyries'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04286s4.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04286s4.jpg2016-07-22T14:34:00.000ZA short clip featuring an orchestra playing Wagner's 'Ride' for Ten Pieces II Promshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04286v0
BBC Proms Ten Pieces II Wagner 'Ride of the Valkyries'
- Roger Scruton: The Ring of Truthhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03xxyqk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03xxyqk.jpg2016-06-13T12:55:00.000ZRoger Scruton's new book casts Wagner's Ring opera cycle as a quasi-sacred experience.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03y6crk
Roger Scruton: The Ring of Truth
- Wagner: Walkure – end of Act III (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nt2c9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nt2c9.jpg2016-04-17T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nt2q7
Wagner: Walkure – end of Act III (extract)
- Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nurnberghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02v5pqj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02v5pqj.jpg2015-06-20T14:31:00.000ZCD Review considers available recordings of Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02v5pqn
Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg
- Wagner: Siegfried Idyllhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0206cqg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0206cqg.jpg2014-08-21T16:11:00.000ZMartin Cotton compares recordings of Wagner's Siegfried Idyll and makes a recommendation.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0256637
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll
- Wagner: Siegfried Idyllhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0222gv2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0222gv2.jpg2014-07-03T09:25:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Stephen Johnson talks about Wagner's Siegfried Idyll.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0222gw6
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll
- Wagner: Die Meistersinger overturehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02213j4.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02213j4.jpg2014-07-02T16:39:00.000ZAndrew McGregor talks about the overture to Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02213jg
Wagner: Die Meistersinger overture
- Wagner: Tristan und Isoldehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w6bzy.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w6bzy.jpg2014-03-25T12:46:00.000ZRoger Vignoles provides a personal recommendation from the available CDs and DVDs of Wagner's opera Tristan und Isolde.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01w6c08
Wagner: Tristan und Isolde
Richard Wagner Tracks
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
A waltz, tobogganing, and a big misunderstanding
'An opera about an opera'
Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No 5 in C minor - Excerpt
Paul Lewis: how can life shape the way we hear music?
Dvořák: Second Piano Quartet
Beethoven: Piano Sonata No.30 in E, Op.109
Katherine Bryan and Edward Cohen: Dvorak's "Song to the Moon" from Rusalka
Dvořák: Serenade for Strings
Dvořák: Rondo in G minor, Op 94 (excerpt) (2017)