R.E.M.Formed 1980. Disbanded 21 September 2011
R.E.M. Biography (Wikipedia)
R.E.M. was an American rock band from Athens, Georgia, that was formed in 1980 by drummer Bill Berry, guitarist Peter Buck, bassist/backing vocalist Mike Mills, and lead vocalist Michael Stipe. One of the first alternative rock bands, R.E.M. was noted for Buck's ringing, arpeggiated guitar style, Stipe's particular vocal quality and obscure lyrics, and Mills' melodic basslines and backing vocals. R.E.M. released its first single—"Radio Free Europe"—in 1981 on the independent record label Hib-Tone. The single was followed by the Chronic Town EP in 1982, the band's first release on I.R.S. Records. In 1983, the group released its critically acclaimed debut album, Murmur, and built its reputation over the next few years through subsequent releases, constant touring, and the support of college radio. Following years of underground success, R.E.M. achieved a mainstream hit in 1987 with the single "The One I Love". The group signed to Warner Bros. Records in 1988, and began to espouse political and environmental concerns while playing large arenas worldwide.
- How do R.E.M. get to Glasto? By train! - Archive Interview 2003https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hh4v3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hh4v3.jpg2016-11-23T12:29:00.000ZR.E.M. tell Jo about their love for mingling with the punters on the train to Glastohttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04hd4br
How do R.E.M. get to Glasto? By train! - Archive Interview 2003
- The profound effect of losing River Phoenix and Kurt Cobain - archive interview 1994https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hd2yt.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hd2yt.jpg2016-11-23T12:27:00.000ZMichael Stipe discusses the loss of River Phoenix and Kurt Cobainhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04hd2yx
The profound effect of losing River Phoenix and Kurt Cobain - archive interview 1994
- How do R.E.M. deal with intra-band conflict? - Archive interview 2008https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hd2b4.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hd2b4.jpg2016-11-23T12:25:00.000ZThe role of courgette fritters on the inner workings of R.E.M.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04hd2cb
How do R.E.M. deal with intra-band conflict? - Archive interview 2008
- Bill Berry and R.E.M. - archive interview 2003https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hh2ny.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hh2ny.jpg2016-11-23T12:21:00.000ZSix years after Bill Berry quit, R.E.M. explain how he's still a part of the bandhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04hd1kc
Bill Berry and R.E.M. - archive interview 2003
- ATL Remembers... REM at Slanehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0437jf7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0437jf7.jpg2016-08-01T12:01:00.000ZRigsy takes a road-trip, recalling his first gig; REM at Slane in the summer of 1995.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0437lfg
ATL Remembers... REM at Slane
- Mike Mills of REM talks to Liz Kershawhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p018pkw3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p018pkw3.jpg2013-05-04T19:44:00.000ZLiz talks to Mike about the recording of their album Green on its 25th anniversary. She begins by asking him if he still lives in Athens, Georgia.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p018lwy8
Mike Mills of REM talks to Liz Kershaw
Past BBC Events
Live Lounge: REM
Latest R.E.M. News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Bono on the Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Bono on Miss Sarajevo
Bono on Brexit
The Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Bono tells Chris about U2's first practice of The Joshua Tree in 30 years!
"Have faith in greatness" DJ Semtex on the Kendrick/U2 collaboration from DAMN.
6 Music's T-Shirt Day 2016: Steve Lamacq talks to Black Francis about T-Shirt design
[LISTEN] Black Francis chats about Pixies forthcoming album 'Head Carrier'
‘It’s important to be unsophisticated’ - Bono and Larry Mullen Jr. of U2 chat to Simon Mayo
Adam Duritz in conversation