William WaltonComposer and conductor. Born 29 March 1902. Died 8 March 1983
William Walton Biography (Wikipedia)
Sir William Turner Walton, OM (29 March 1902 – 8 March 1983) was an English composer. During a 60 year career, he wrote music in several classical genres and styles, from film scores to opera. His best-known works include Façade, the cantata Belshazzar's Feast, the Viola Concerto, the First Symphony, and the British coronation anthems Crown Imperial and Orb and Sceptre.
Born in Oldham, Lancashire, the son of a musician, Walton was a chorister and then an undergraduate at Christ Church, Oxford. On leaving the university, he was taken up by the literary Sitwell siblings, who provided him with a home and a cultural education. His earliest work of note was a collaboration with Edith Sitwell, Façade, which at first brought him notoriety as a modernist, but later became a popular ballet score.
In middle age, Walton left Britain and set up home with his wife Susana on the Italian island of Ischia. By this time, he had ceased to be regarded as a modernist, and some of his compositions of the 1950s were criticised as old-fashioned. His only full-length opera, Troilus and Cressida, was among the works to be so labelled and has made little impact in opera houses. In his last years, his works came back into critical fashion; his later compositions, dismissed by critics at the time of their premieres, were revalued and regarded alongside his earlier works.
- Sean Shibe - William Walton's Five Bagatelles - No. 1 Allegrohttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p059k5bg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p059k5bg.jpg2017-07-24T11:19:26.000ZSean Shibe performs live for Classics Unwrappedhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p059k4sg
Sean Shibe - William Walton's Five Bagatelles - No. 1 Allegro
- Walton: Sonata for Strings - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2014-01-02T10:29:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Walton's Sonata for Strings.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01p3wcr
Walton: Sonata for Strings - Preview Clip
- Various: Variations on an Elizabethan Theme - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2014-01-02T10:20:00.000ZListen to an excerpt of Variations on an Elizabethan Theme by various composers.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01p3269
Various: Variations on an Elizabethan Theme - Preview Clip
- Walton: March 'Orb and Sceptre' - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-11-21T16:10:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Walton's March 'Orb and Sceptre'.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01lywwr
Walton: March 'Orb and Sceptre' - Preview Clip
- Walton: Crown Imperial (Preview Clip)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p017rsr8.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p017rsr8.jpg2013-04-18T13:00:00.000ZA preview clip of Walton’s Crown Imperial.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p017s535
Walton: Crown Imperial (Preview Clip)
William Walton Tracks