Baaba Maal Biography (Wikipedia)
Baaba Maal (born 12 November 1953) is a Senegalese singer and guitarist born in Podor, on the Senegal River. He is well known in Africa and internationally and is one of Senegal's most famous musicians. In addition to acoustic guitar, he also plays percussion. He has released several albums, both for independent and major labels. In July 2003, he was made a UNDP Youth Emissary.
Maal sings primarily in Pulaar and is the foremost promoter of the traditions of the Pulaar-speaking people, who live on either side of the Senegal River in the ancient Senegalese kingdom of Futa Tooro.
- Baaba Maal - Glastonbury 2016 Highlightshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03zgkbb.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03zgkbb.jpg2016-07-26T22:59:00.000ZBaaba Maal takes the afternoon crowd on a journey with his Pyramid Stage performance.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03zkywj
Baaba Maal - Glastonbury 2016 Highlights
- Tribute to Prince - Purple Rainhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03sbgdb.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03sbgdb.jpg2016-04-26T22:09:00.000ZGregory Porter and the musicians of Later... with Jools Holland pay tribute to Princehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03sbgff
Tribute to Prince - Purple Rain
- Baaba Maal - Yela (Later Archive 1992)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03s8518.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03s8518.jpg2016-04-26T09:31:00.000ZBaaba Maal performs Yela on Later... with Jools Holland in 1992.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03s85gt
Baaba Maal - Yela (Later Archive 1992)
- 'I wrote this to say, let me speak my language.'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03jc8k0.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03jc8k0.jpg2016-02-12T15:59:00.000ZBaaba Maal highlights the importance of speaking and learning African languageshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03jc8ks
'I wrote this to say, let me speak my language.'
- Baaba Maal: his family as inspirationhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03jc4hy.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03jc4hy.jpg2016-02-12T15:44:00.000ZHow his father and mother inspired the Senegalese musician Baaba Maalhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03jc79l
Baaba Maal: his family as inspiration
Baaba Maal Tracks