Johannes BrahmsBorn 7 May 1833. Died 3 April 1897
Johannes Brahms Biography (Wikipedia)
Johannes Brahms (7 May 1833 – 3 April 1897) was a German composer and pianist of the Romantic period. Born in Hamburg into a Lutheran family, Brahms spent much of his professional life in Vienna, Austria. His reputation and status as a composer are such that he is sometimes grouped with Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig van Beethoven as one of the "Three Bs" of music, a comment originally made by the nineteenth-century conductor Hans von Bülow.
Brahms composed for symphony orchestra, chamber ensembles, piano, organ, and voice and chorus. A virtuoso pianist, he premiered many of his own works. He worked with some of the leading performers of his time, including the pianist Clara Schumann and the violinist Joseph Joachim (the three were close friends). Many of his works have become staples of the modern concert repertoire. An uncompromising perfectionist, Brahms destroyed some of his works and left others unpublished.
Brahms has been considered, by his contemporaries and by later writers, as both a traditionalist and an innovator. His music is firmly rooted in the structures and compositional techniques of the Classical masters. While many contemporaries found his music too academic, his contribution and craftsmanship have been admired by subsequent figures as diverse as Arnold Schoenberg and Edward Elgar. The diligent, highly constructed nature of Brahms's works was a starting point and an inspiration for a generation of composers. Embedded within his meticulous structures, however, are deeply romantic motifs.
- Brahms: Symphony No.1 in C minorhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01y9t41.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01y9t41.jpg2018-04-30T10:01:00.000ZBuilding a Library surveys recordings of Brahms's Symphony No.1 in C minor, Op.68.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p065rbf5
Brahms: Symphony No.1 in C minor
- Brahms: String Quartet No.3 in B flat, Op.67https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqkmb.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqkmb.jpg2017-11-25T13:02:00.000ZBuilding a Library explores Brahms's Third String Quartet in B flat major, Op 67.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05p5yv3
Brahms: String Quartet No.3 in B flat, Op.67
- Brahms: Variations on the St Anthony Chorale, Op 56a – excerpt (Prom 74)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fl4m8.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fl4m8.jpg2017-09-09T10:29:00.000ZBrahms's Variations transform Haydn's chorale tune into a graceful sicilienne and a swaying, syncopated dance.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05fl3xp
Brahms: Variations on the St Anthony Chorale, Op 56a – excerpt (Prom 74)
- Catriona Morison - Die Mainacht (Johannes Brahms)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0533bkl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0533bkl.jpg2017-05-16T14:01:55.000ZThe BBC Cardiff Singer of the World finalist Catriona Morison performs live for Classics Unwrapped, accompanied by Erik Garcia on pianohttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p053345x
Catriona Morison - Die Mainacht (Johannes Brahms)
- Catriona Morison - Auf dem Kirchhofe (Johannes Brahms)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0533642.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0533642.jpg2017-05-16T13:13:59.000ZThe BBC Cardiff Singer of the World finalist Catriona Morison performs live for Classics Unwrapped, accompanied by Erik Garcia on pianohttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p053344q
Catriona Morison - Auf dem Kirchhofe (Johannes Brahms)
- Beautiful Brahms: Mark Simpson and Richard Uttley perform his Clarinet Sonata live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04d37sl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04d37sl.jpg2016-10-25T10:40:00.000ZClarinettist Mark Simpson and pianist Richard Uttley play the first movement of the Clarinet Sonata in E flat major by Johannes Brahms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04d3dy6
Beautiful Brahms: Mark Simpson and Richard Uttley perform his Clarinet Sonata live on In Tune
- Proms interval talk: Brahms's Second Symphonyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpg2016-09-04T14:26:00.000ZA discussion of Brahms's Second Symphony.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046t50b
Proms interval talk: Brahms's Second Symphony
- Brahmshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01r4j1n.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01r4j1n.jpg2016-08-05T12:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the life and work of Johannes Brahms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0437s77
- Proms interval talk: Simon Callow reads from the German Romanticshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p041w2v1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p041w2v1.jpg2016-08-05T11:44:00.000ZActor and writer Simon Callow reads from some of the German Romantic authors, playwrights and poets who inspired Johannes Brahms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p043q122
Proms interval talk: Simon Callow reads from the German Romantics
- Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ns3bv.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ns3bv.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ns3gc
Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major (extract)
- Brahms: Symphony No. 4 in E minor (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nnz5f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nnz5f.jpg2016-04-18T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nnzp6
Brahms: Symphony No. 4 in E minor (extract)
- Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntv1r.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntv1r.jpg2016-04-18T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nv219
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 (extract)
- Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03pgrxr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03pgrxr.jpg2016-04-17T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03pgs12
Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor (extract)
- Brahms: Cello Sonata No 2 in F, Op 99.https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02wtqr5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02wtqr5.jpg2015-07-11T13:20:00.000ZBuilding a Library compares recordings of the second cello sonata by Johannes Brahms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02wtqr9
Brahms: Cello Sonata No 2 in F, Op 99.
- Brahms Experience: Johannes Brahmshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p028d6h1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p028d6h1.jpg2014-10-10T12:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the friendship between Johannes Brahms and Clara Schumannhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p028d7fh
Brahms Experience: Johannes Brahms
- Stephen Grosz on Brahmshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p023y1qp.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p023y1qp.jpg2014-07-31T12:28:00.000ZPsychoanalyst Stephen Grosz on humming Brahms’ third symphony.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p023y1r2
Stephen Grosz on Brahms
Johannes Brahms Tracks
Latest Johannes Brahms News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Colin Currie: the disturbing and beautiful musical landscape of Schubert
Schubert: Die schöne Müllerin
Schumann: Symphony No.4
Dvořák: Second Piano Quartet
Katherine Bryan and Edward Cohen: Dvorak's "Song to the Moon" from Rusalka
Dvořák: Serenade for Strings
Ilker Arcayürek sings Schubert's 'Der Lindenbaum'
Could this be the saddest goodbye song?
Life inside a string quartet