Paul McCartney Biography (Wikipedia)
Sir James Paul McCartney CH MBE (born 18 June 1942) is an English singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and composer. He gained worldwide fame as the bass guitarist and singer for the rock band the Beatles, widely considered the most popular and influential group in the history of popular music. His songwriting partnership with John Lennon remains the most successful in history. After the group disbanded in 1970, he pursued a solo career and formed the band Wings with his first wife, Linda, and Denny Laine.
McCartney is one of the most successful composers and performers of all time. More than 2,200 artists have covered his Beatles song "Yesterday", making it one of the most covered songs in popular music history. Wings' 1977 release "Mull of Kintyre" is one of the all-time best-selling singles in the UK. A two-time inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (as a member of the Beatles in 1988, and as a solo artist in 1999), and an 18-time Grammy Award winner, McCartney has written, or co-written, 32 songs that have reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100, and as of 2009 he had 25.5 million RIAA-certified units in the United States. McCartney, Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr all received appointment as Members of the Order of the British Empire in 1965 and, in 1997, McCartney was knighted for services to music. McCartney is also one of the wealthiest musicians in the world, with an estimated net worth of US$1.2 billion.
- "John worried how he'd be remembered"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06kwcnk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06kwcnk.jpg2018-09-11T13:39:00.000ZSir Paul McCartney chats about 'Egypt Station' and answers some quick-fire questions.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06kw8bc
"John worried how he'd be remembered"
- Sir Paul McCartney talks to Jo and Simonhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmwxp.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmwxp.jpg2018-06-20T18:10:00.000ZThe Beatles legend discusses his new album, whether he'll play Glasto and star duets.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06bmw0b
Sir Paul McCartney talks to Jo and Simon
- Will Paul McCartney be duetting with Taylor Swift on his new album?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmx7d.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmx7d.jpg2018-06-20T17:55:00.000ZLiverpool's most famous son reveals whether he's invited any star names to sing with him.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06bmvn8
Will Paul McCartney be duetting with Taylor Swift on his new album?
- Paul McCartney: "Dark Side Of The Moon was an inspiration for this album, but don't call it concept!"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmwk3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmwk3.jpg2018-06-20T17:55:00.000ZMacca discusses the inspirations and thought process behind new album 'Egypt Station'.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06bmvpv
Paul McCartney: "Dark Side Of The Moon was an inspiration for this album, but don't call it concept!"
- Will Paul McCartney listen to his daughters and play Glastonbury next year?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmxr8.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bmxr8.jpg2018-06-20T17:55:00.000ZSir Paul reveals to Jo and Simon whether he'll play the festival when it returns in 2019.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06bmx94
Will Paul McCartney listen to his daughters and play Glastonbury next year?
- What was Paul McCartney persuaded to do for the first time in 60 years by James Corden?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bjssv.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06bjssv.jpg2018-06-19T23:01:00.000ZSir Paul talks about reliving some very personal memories on a recent trip to Liverpool.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06bjmv9
What was Paul McCartney persuaded to do for the first time in 60 years by James Corden?
- Humphrey Ocean: My journey from punk to painterhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p069n6n5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p069n6n5.jpg2018-06-10T08:34:00.000ZHumphrey Ocean RA on his journey from the punk band Kilburn and the High Roads to his first love, painting. He was taught painting by Ian Dury at the Canterbury School of Art!https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p069n52w
Humphrey Ocean: My journey from punk to painter
- When John Met Yokohttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05tpy12.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05tpy12.jpg2018-01-12T17:23:00.000ZThe A-Z of Psychedelia reaches I for the Indica Gallery, the Beatles favourite bookshop.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05tpsty
When John Met Yoko
- "It doesn't matter, I won't be here!" - Sir Paul McCartney tells 6 Music how he wants to be rememberedhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04xqx6y.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04xqx6y.jpg2017-03-23T08:30:00.000ZSir Paul McCartney talks to 6 Music’s Matt Everitt about how he wants to be rememberedhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04xqx0m
"It doesn't matter, I won't be here!" - Sir Paul McCartney tells 6 Music how he wants to be remembered
- Sir Paul McCartney talks to 6 Music about collaborations, Chuck Berry, his new album and his own musical legacy.https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04xr54h.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04xr54h.jpg2017-03-23T08:30:00.000ZSir Paul McCartney talks to BBC 6 Music’s Matt Everitthttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04xqy1m
Sir Paul McCartney talks to 6 Music about collaborations, Chuck Berry, his new album and his own musical legacy.
- Ron, Paul & Ringo talk to Simon Mayohttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p048p3lj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p048p3lj.jpg2016-09-14T17:22:00.000ZRon Howard and Beatles Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr discuss their new Beatles doc.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p047v7c5
Ron, Paul & Ringo talk to Simon Mayo
- Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Ron Howard chat to BBC Radio 6 Music's Shaun Keavenyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p047v0bq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p047v0bq.jpg2016-09-14T14:29:00.000ZHear the whole interview that was recorded at the legendary Abbey Road studioshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p047v0fn
Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Ron Howard chat to BBC Radio 6 Music's Shaun Keaveny
- Paul McCartney: "The last time I crossed Abbey Road I was Dressed As A werewolf”https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p047v00f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p047v00f.jpg2016-09-14T14:25:00.000ZSir Paul tells 6 Music's Shaun Keaveny about the last time he crossed Abbey Roadhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p047v03s
Paul McCartney: "The last time I crossed Abbey Road I was Dressed As A werewolf”
- Richard White Interviewhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0452m70.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0452m70.jpg2016-08-21T15:55:00.000ZRichard White popped by the studios to chat about the rivalry between Lennon & McCartneyhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0452mb6
Richard White Interview
- 'Paul was the radical one' Philip Norman explodes the myths of Beatleologyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0406ph1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0406ph1.jpg2016-07-02T13:44:00.000ZMark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie are joined by writer Philip Norman, who talks abouthis new book on Paul McCartney.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0406phc
'Paul was the radical one' Philip Norman explodes the myths of Beatleology
- Sir Paul McCartney watched the Housemartins soundcheck in 1986!https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0360w3z.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0360w3z.jpg2016-06-21T08:17:00.000ZPaul Heaton looks forward to meeting Sir Paul McCartney again at the Dine and Discohttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03z09mp
Sir Paul McCartney watched the Housemartins soundcheck in 1986!
- Paul McCartney's Biggest Fan?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03yqs43.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03yqs43.jpg2016-06-18T07:49:00.000ZHappy Birthday Macca! We think Diane McEvoy is your biggest fan...https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03yqn4q
Paul McCartney's Biggest Fan?
- Paul McCartney: “I was depressed at the time... You would be too”https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03w0ggj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03w0ggj.jpg2016-05-24T04:00:00.000ZSir Paul McCartney speaks about his life after The Beatles.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03w1z00
Paul McCartney: “I was depressed at the time... You would be too”
- Paul McCartney: “I love Kanye… He’s a monster”https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03w1vnb.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03w1vnb.jpg2016-05-24T04:00:00.000ZSir Paul reveals some illuminating stories about his collaboration with Kanye West.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03w207g
Paul McCartney: “I love Kanye… He’s a monster”
Paul McCartney Tracks
Past BBC Events
Proms 2014: Prom 71: Americana
6 Music Live at Maida Vale: Paul McCartney
Latest Paul McCartney News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Celebrating 50 years of The White Album
The Beatles History from The Quarrymen to The Maharishi
Yellow Submarine - let Ringo sing it
Abbey Road and the mystery of Paul McCartney's sandals
The Beatles and Blake Have it Covered
Magic Alex; John Lennon's electronic guru
The Beatles in Wonderland; Lewis Caroll and the Fab Four
When John Met Yoko
"The Beatles were my Star Wars" - Mark Hamill aka Luke Skywalker on fandom
"We've become the fabric of people's lives" - Mark Hamill on Star Wars and The Beatles