Radiohead Biography (Wikipedia)
Radiohead are an English rock band formed in 1985 in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. The band consists of Thom Yorke (vocals, guitar, piano, keyboards), brothers Jonny Greenwood (lead guitar, keyboards, other instruments) and Colin Greenwood (bass), Ed O'Brien (guitar, backing vocals) and Philip Selway (drums, percussion). They have worked with producer Nigel Godrich and cover artist Stanley Donwood since 1994.
After signing to EMI in 1991, Radiohead released their debut single "Creep" in 1992. It became a worldwide hit after the release of their debut album, Pablo Honey (1993). Their popularity and critical standing rose in the United Kingdom with the release of their second album, The Bends (1995). Radiohead's third album, OK Computer (1997), brought them international fame; noted for its complex production and themes of modern alienation, it is often acclaimed as a landmark record of the 1990s and one of the best albums in popular music. Kid A (2000) and Amnesiac (2001), recorded simultaneously, marked a dramatic change in style, incorporating influences from experimental electronic music, 20th-century classical music, krautrock, and jazz. Kid A divided listeners but was named the best album of the decade by Rolling Stone, Pitchfork and The Times.
- The London Contemporary Voices Choir cover 'Paranoid Android'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rr2hg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rr2hg.jpg2017-12-24T09:00:00.000ZHere is a bespoke cover of Radiohead's 'Paranoid Android' by the London Contemporary Voices Choirhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05rqg20
The London Contemporary Voices Choir cover 'Paranoid Android'
- The London Contemporary Voices Choir in sessionhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rstfl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rstfl.jpg2017-12-24T09:00:00.000ZThe London Contemporary Voices Choir join Mary Anne to perform five bespoke covers, including a Christmas carol!https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05rqlbc
The London Contemporary Voices Choir in session
- Radioheadhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056smzv.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056smzv.jpg2017-07-25T22:59:00.000ZHighlights of Radiohead's set at Glastonbury 2017https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p057tvj3
- Colin Greenwood: An Afternoon with Q-Tiphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p058rrxq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p058rrxq.jpg2017-07-15T10:53:00.000ZSome of Colin's favourite funk and soul tracks came via a chance meeting with Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p058rrks
Colin Greenwood: An Afternoon with Q-Tip
- The time Thom Yorke introduced James Brown live at the Hollywood Bowlhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p058rrxq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p058rrxq.jpg2017-07-15T10:45:00.000ZColin Greenwood opens up about the band's love of funk and soul music.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p058rrhk
The time Thom Yorke introduced James Brown live at the Hollywood Bowl
- Steve Lamacq's Glastonbury highlightshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0570gb1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0570gb1.jpg2017-06-25T21:00:00.000ZSteve looks back over his weekend at Worthy Farm.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056zfvp
Steve Lamacq's Glastonbury highlights
- Radiohead's Ed and Phil talk to Steve ahead of Glastonburyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056l135.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056l135.jpg2017-06-23T17:15:00.000ZEd O'Brien and Phil Selway talk to Steve about digging up old tunes for OKNOTOK, Glastonbury '97 and what to expect 20 years later (certainly not pyrotechnics and LED wristbands!)https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056l0nl
Radiohead's Ed and Phil talk to Steve ahead of Glastonbury
- What can we expect from Radiohead's 2017 Glastonbury set?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056qbjl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056qbjl.jpg2017-06-23T08:36:00.000ZEd O'Brien and Phil Selway chat to Steve Lamacq about the band's return to Worthy Farm.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056q5ht
What can we expect from Radiohead's 2017 Glastonbury set?
- Radiohead on R.E.M.: "They were like our big brothers!"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056n9s5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056n9s5.jpg2017-06-22T20:30:00.000ZEd and Philip from Radiohead talk to Jo about their relationship with R.E.M.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056n90b
Radiohead on R.E.M.: "They were like our big brothers!"
- Radiohead on THAT Glastonbury 1997 performance: "It was like a form of Hell"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056n9s5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056n9s5.jpg2017-06-22T20:20:00.000ZEd and Philip from Radiohead talk about their Pyramid Stage performance in 1997.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056n8zz
Radiohead on THAT Glastonbury 1997 performance: "It was like a form of Hell"
- "The pressure to record those was too much" - Nigel Godrich reveals the history of OK Computer's lost trackshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01hyys1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01hyys1.jpg2017-06-22T15:40:00.000ZThe long-standing Radiohead producer opens up about the making of their classic album.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056n5jv
"The pressure to record those was too much" - Nigel Godrich reveals the history of OK Computer's lost tracks
- Radiohead chat about recording No Surprises in an archive interviewhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056mh36.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p056mh36.jpg2017-06-22T10:34:00.000ZThe band chat to Steve Lamacq about their recording process, in an interview originally broadcast on Radio 1's Evening Session just before OK Computer was released in 1997.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p056m54q
Radiohead chat about recording No Surprises in an archive interview
- Radiohead Vs The Shirehorseshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055bl3l.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055bl3l.jpg2017-06-08T19:30:00.000ZPhililp Selway reveals his most inner secrets in tonight's Manic Q and A.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p055bj65
Radiohead Vs The Shirehorses
- "My grandma bought me Mungo Jerry's In The Summertime. I still love that song!" - Thom Yorke on his first music memorieshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0559f3b.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0559f3b.jpg2017-06-08T10:54:00.000ZThe Radiohead front-man talks to Matt Everitt about his earliest music passions.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0559bjp
"My grandma bought me Mungo Jerry's In The Summertime. I still love that song!" - Thom Yorke on his first music memories
- Thom Yorke on Radiohead's 1997 Glastonbury performancehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055b1n2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055b1n2.jpg2017-06-08T10:38:00.000ZRadiohead's front-man wasn't entirely keen to perform at Glastonbury back in 1997.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05599t0
Thom Yorke on Radiohead's 1997 Glastonbury performance
- Ed O'Brien tells 6 Music about lost Radiohead track 'Lift'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p051sybt.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p051sybt.jpg2017-05-03T06:57:00.000ZLost Radiohead track 'Lift' is finally getting a release as Ed O'Brien tells Matt Everitthttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p051sx5y
Ed O'Brien tells 6 Music about lost Radiohead track 'Lift'
- Philip Selway: My Ideal Weekendhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04slb98.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04slb98.jpg2017-02-11T08:19:00.000ZPhilip Selway of Radiohead on how he likes to spend a weekend. It might surprise you...https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04slb9l
Philip Selway: My Ideal Weekend
- ‘Without those places to support us we wouldn’t have gotten anywhere’ - Colin Greenwood on how indie venues helped Radioheadhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qrrq3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qrrq3.jpg2017-01-25T17:20:00.000ZColin explains how small venues in Oxford enabled the band to learn the craft of playing live.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qr7vl
‘Without those places to support us we wouldn’t have gotten anywhere’ - Colin Greenwood on how indie venues helped Radiohead
- Adam Buxton: What's so special about Radiohead?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04q80xr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04q80xr.jpg2017-01-21T08:32:00.000ZEver had to explain this one? Adam Buxton sums it up pretty well...https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04q80y3
Adam Buxton: What's so special about Radiohead?
Past BBC Events
Mercury Prize: 2016
Latest Radiohead News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Thom Yorke's new ideas for a live show
Thom Yorke steps outside his comfort zone
Thom Yorke in conversation with Mary Anne Hobbs
Thom Yorke on writing the score for Suspiria
Pixies tell Clare Crane about their 30th Anniversary plans
The end of R.E.M.
R.E.M. on meeting David Bowie
Michael Stipe from R.E.M. and his beard
Jo tests R.E.M. on their modern day acronym knowledge...
The time Thom Yorke introduced James Brown live at the Hollywood Bowl