Andrew Lloyd WebberEnglish composer and impresario of musical theatre. Born 22 March 1948
Andrew Lloyd Webber Biography (Wikipedia)
Andrew Lloyd Webber, Baron Lloyd-Webber (born 22 March 1948) is an English composer and impresario of musical theatre. Several of his musicals have run for more than a decade both in the West End and on Broadway. He has composed 13 musicals, a song cycle, a set of variations, two film scores, and a Latin Requiem Mass. Several of his songs have been widely recorded and were successful outside of their parent musicals, such as "The Music of the Night" and "All I Ask of You" from The Phantom of the Opera, "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar, "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" from Evita, "Any Dream Will Do" from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and "Memory" from Cats. In 2001 The New York Times referred to him as "the most commercially successful composer in history". Ranked the "fifth most powerful person in British culture" by The Daily Telegraph in 2008, the lyricist Don Black stated "Andrew more or less single-handedly reinvented the musical."
He has received a number of awards, including a knighthood in 1992, followed by a peerage from Queen Elizabeth II for services to the Arts, six Tonys, three Grammys (as well as the Grammy Legend Award), an Academy Award, fourteen Ivor Novello Awards, seven Olivier Awards, a Golden Globe, a Brit Award, the 2006 Kennedy Center Honors, the 2008 Classic Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music, and an Emmy Award. He is one of fifteen people to have won an Oscar, an Emmy, a Grammy, and a Tony. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, is an inductee into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, and is a fellow of the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers, and Authors.
- Why did Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice NOT become the new Rodgers and Hammerstein?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0612krs.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0612krs.jpg2018-03-14T09:06:00.000ZLord Andrew Lloyd Webber shares stories from his memoir Unmasked memoir.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0612k7s
Why did Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice NOT become the new Rodgers and Hammerstein?
- Andrew Lloyd Webber: “You can’t listen to music if you can’t look at it”https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p052245f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p052245f.jpg2017-05-05T14:59:00.000ZAndrew describes how director Hal Prince helped him understand what makes a musical workhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p052233g
Andrew Lloyd Webber: “You can’t listen to music if you can’t look at it”
- Andrew Lloyd Webber in Conversation with Michael Ballhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03qm1sj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03qm1sj.jpg2016-04-10T14:38:00.000ZAndrew discusses Sunset Boulevard, School of Rock and writing songs for Elvis Presleyhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03qmd3n
Andrew Lloyd Webber in Conversation with Michael Ball
- Andrew Lloyd Webber “Honestly… It’ll never be number 1 on any movie studio’s slate..."https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03qlr1t.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03qlr1t.jpg2016-04-10T12:00:00.000ZAndrew Lloyd Webber “Honestly… It’ll never be number 1 on any movie studio’s slate..."https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03qlr1v
Andrew Lloyd Webber “Honestly… It’ll never be number 1 on any movie studio’s slate..."
- Andrew Loyd Webber on Elvis "I wrote his last song"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01s8trb.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01s8trb.jpg2014-02-14T12:57:00.000ZAndrew Lloyd Webber tells Chris and the gang about a little known Elvis fact.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01s8trj
Andrew Loyd Webber on Elvis "I wrote his last song"
- Lloyd: Requiem - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-28T16:07:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Lloyd's Requiem.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01p1h5k
Lloyd: Requiem - Preview Clip
- Andrew Lloyd Webber talks with Elaine Paigehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p060htyd.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p060htyd.jpg2013-11-05T12:00:00.000ZElaine chats with Andrew Lloyd Webber about his brand new musical; Stephen Ward.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01j9mft
Andrew Lloyd Webber talks with Elaine Paige
Andrew Lloyd Webber Tracks