Elvis CostelloBorn 25 August 1954
- Performances (5)Latest Clip'I’m leaning forward but in order to do that you have to know where you’ve been' - Elvis Costello chats with Mary Anne Hobbs
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- EventsFind events near you
- NewsHeartwarming New Year's resolutions from musicians to inspire you in 2018
- Similar Artists
Elvis Costello Biography (Wikipedia)
Declan Patrick MacManus (born 25 August 1954), better known by his stage name Elvis Costello, is an English musician, singer-songwriter, and record producer. He began his career as part of London's pub rock scene in the early 1970s and later became associated with the first wave of the British punk and new wave movement that emerged in the mid-to-late 1970s. His critically acclaimed debut album, My Aim Is True, was released in 1977. Shortly after recording it, he formed the Attractions as his backing band. His second album, This Year's Model, was released in 1978, and was ranked number 11 by Rolling Stone on its list of the best albums from 1967–1987. His third album, Armed Forces, was released in 1979, and features his highest-charting single "Oliver's Army" (number 2 in the UK). His first three albums all appeared on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
Costello and the Attractions toured and recorded together for the better part of a decade, though differences between them caused a split by 1986. Much of Costello's work since has been as a solo artist, though reunions with members of the Attractions have been credited to the group over the years. Steeped in wordplay, the vocabulary of Costello's lyrics is broad. His music has drawn on many diverse genres; one critic described him as a "pop encyclopaedia", able to "reinvent the past in his own image".
- Clive Langer on Madness, Shipbuilding and new ventureshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02f6dc7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02f6dc7.jpg2014-12-14T14:26:00.000ZSuper-producer Clive Langer talks about fronting his own band after 35 years of producing iconic albums for others (including Elvis Costello, Morrissey and The Teardrop Explodes).https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02f6dfv
Clive Langer on Madness, Shipbuilding and new ventures
- Elvis Costello is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Famehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01phyct.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01phyct.jpg2014-01-12T20:59:00.000ZDeborah Clough in Burnley, Lancashire nominates Elvis Costello for a place in Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame on Radio 2https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01phydz
Elvis Costello is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame
- Jazz Parentshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01kv511.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01kv511.jpg2013-11-04T09:50:00.000ZElvis talks about his childhood and his father's career with the Joe Loss orchestrahttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01kv51b
- Elvis Costello talks to Jo Whileyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01hfnx2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01hfnx2.jpg2013-09-25T09:01:00.000ZElvis Costello speaks to Jo about his latest album, Wise Up Ghosts.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01hfnxt
Elvis Costello talks to Jo Whiley
Elvis Costello Tracks
Past BBC Events
Latest Elvis Costello News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Squeeze Live Session!
"Where do you begin?" - Nick Lowe celebrates Ry Cooder's lifetime of music
Squeeze - Glastonbury 2016 Highlights
Squeeze: "It's our first time on The Pyramid Stage... we're very grateful"
Squeeze - Happy Days
Squeeze - Cool for Cats
Squeeze - Pulling Mussels from a Shell
Squeeze Live in Session
Squeeze performed live and chatted with Sir Terry Wogan
Nick Lowe chats to Simon Mayo