Sir Simon RattleConductor. Born 19 January 1955
Sir Simon Rattle Biography (Wikipedia)
Sir Simon Denis Rattle OM CBE (born 19 January 1955) is a British conductor. He rose to international prominence during the 1980s and 1990s, while Music Director of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (1980–1998). Rattle was principal conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic from 2002 to 2018.
It was announced in March 2015 that Rattle would become Music Director of the London Symphony Orchestra from September 2017.
As a passionate supporter of music education, Rattle is also the patron of Birmingham Schools' Symphony Orchestra, arranged during his tenure with CBSO in mid 1990s. The Youth Orchestra is now under the auspices of charitable business Services for Education.
Rattle received the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music in 2001 at the Classic Brit Awards.
- Neptune, the Mystichttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06md9tw.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06md9tw.jpg2018-09-28T08:00:00.000ZFrom The Planets by Holst. This is a clip from a performance by the Rundfunkchor Berlin and Berlin Phiharmonic Orchestra under Sir Simon Rattle. Image of Neptune © NASA/JPL.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06m8th0
Neptune, the Mystic
- Maurice Ravel: Shéhérazade Extract (Prom 48)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06j2g76.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06j2g76.jpg2018-09-25T18:30:00.000ZRavel's song cycle Shéhérazade is a setting of three songs from Tristan Klingsor's collection 'Shéhérazade' - 'Asie', 'La flûte enchantée', and 'L'indifférent'.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06j2frj
Maurice Ravel: Shéhérazade Extract (Prom 48)
- Simon Rattle: Conductors are 'pure amateurs' compared to football managershttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fd5y9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fd5y9.jpg2017-09-13T09:50:00.000ZSir Simon Rattle, tongue firmly in cheek, compares his role as a music director of the London Symphony Orchestra to that of Jürgen Klopp, manager of Liverpool FC.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05fs1jn
Simon Rattle: Conductors are 'pure amateurs' compared to football managers
- Simon Rattle: "There was nothing I wanted more than to be a drummer"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fhwcx.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fhwcx.jpg2017-09-08T11:52:00.000ZHe may be a world-famous classical conductor, but his first love was jazz. Sir Simon Rattle shares his inspirations on Essential Classics as he returns to the UK as MD of the LSO.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05fhgrv
Simon Rattle: "There was nothing I wanted more than to be a drummer"
- Sir Simon Rattle on orchestras and fine wineshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04m3tzj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04m3tzj.jpg2017-01-18T10:52:00.000ZSean talks to Sir Simon Rattle about taking up the reins at the London Symphony Orchestra.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04pwllr
Sir Simon Rattle on orchestras and fine wines
- Rattle: Why Messiaen and Bruckner make great bedfellowshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02nmmy5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02nmmy5.jpg2016-04-15T15:45:00.000ZCatholic connections: Simon Rattle enthuses about performing Messiaen and Bruckner together, and why he chose the Haas edition of Bruckner 8.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03r53xh
Rattle: Why Messiaen and Bruckner make great bedfellows
- "A great composer, an astonishing conductor and a really funny, charming, surprising man"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03dr4vq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03dr4vq.jpg2016-01-06T19:06:00.000ZSir Simon Rattle discuss his memories, thoughts and admiration for Pierre Boulezhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03dr4zj
"A great composer, an astonishing conductor and a really funny, charming, surprising man"
Sir Simon Rattle Tracks