StingSinger, songwriter & member of The Police. Born 2 October 1951
Sting Biography (Wikipedia)
Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner CBE (born 2 October 1951), known as Sting, is an English musician and actor. He was the principal songwriter, lead singer, and bassist for the new wave rock band the Police from 1977 to 1984, and launched a solo career in 1985. He has included elements of rock, jazz, reggae, classical, new-age and worldbeat in his music.
As a solo musician and a member of the Police, Sting has received 17 Grammy Awards: he won Song of the Year for "Every Breath You Take", three Brit Awards, including Best British Male Artist in 1994 and Outstanding Contribution in 2002, a Golden Globe, an Emmy and four nominations for the Academy Award for Best Original Song. In 2019, he received a BMI Award for “Every Breath You Take” becoming the most played song in radio history. In 2002, Sting received the Ivor Novello Award for Lifetime Achievement from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors and was also inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Police in 2003. In 2000, he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for recording. In 2003, Sting received a CBE from Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace for services to music. He was made a Kennedy Center Honoree at the White House in 2014, and was awarded the Polar Music Prize in 2017.
- Sting Interview and Sessionhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05q4dq5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05q4dq5.jpg2017-12-05T11:00:00.000ZJanice Forsyth speaks to Sting about the musical The Last Shiphttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05q4cyl
Sting Interview and Session
- Katie Melua performs Fields of Goldhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05ncndp.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05ncndp.jpg2017-11-17T14:24:00.000ZWatch Katie Melua perform the official single for Children In Need 2017 live in the Radio 2 Piano Room.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05ncl75
Katie Melua performs Fields of Gold
- Sting on leaving The Police: “It was counter-intuitive to leave arguably the biggest band in the world”https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04zd0fj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04zd0fj.jpg2017-04-07T15:21:00.000ZSting takes time out from his 57th & 9th tour to call the Big Show and have a chat.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04zcyrg
Sting on leaving The Police: “It was counter-intuitive to leave arguably the biggest band in the world”
- Sting joins Jo for an evening inhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jkmgr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jkmgr.jpg2016-11-30T14:00:00.000ZJo Whiley talks to Sting about musicals, keeping fit and his new album '57th & 9th'.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04jkmjt
Sting joins Jo for an evening in
- Sting talks to Jo about playing at the Bataclan.https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hf37b.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04hf37b.jpg2016-11-22T21:35:00.000ZSting talks about the gig that meant to the most to him; his re-opening of the Bataclan.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04hf386
Sting talks to Jo about playing at the Bataclan.
- Sting in conversation with Graham Nortonhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01nd6l3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01nd6l3.jpg2013-12-14T15:26:00.000ZThe music legend dropped by to chat about his career and latest album, The Last Ship.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01nd7rl
Sting in conversation with Graham Norton
Past BBC Events
Latest Sting News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park - Simply Red - Live at Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park 2019
Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park - Simply Red - Something Got Me Started
David Knopfler tells us what NOT to do when meeting your idol!
Who has the best Bruce Springsteen story?
Phil Collins' day as an extra in The Beatles “A Hard Day's Night”
Phil Collins - "I would have left Genesis for The Who"
Hear Phil Collins' stripped back performance of Separate Lives
Ricky Ross meets Phil Collins
Phil Collins "It's very difficult to book the Albert Hall, we had to..."
Why drumming is now a family affair for Phil Collins