Bob Dylan Biography (Wikipedia)
Bob Dylan (born Robert Allen Zimmerman; May 24, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter, author, and visual artist. Widely regarded as one of the greatest songwriters of all time, Dylan has been a major figure in popular culture for more than 50 years. Much of his most celebrated work dates from the 1960s, when songs such as "Blowin' in the Wind" (1963) and "The Times They Are a-Changin'" (1964) became anthems for the civil rights and anti-war movements. His lyrics during this period incorporated a range of political, social, philosophical, and literary influences, defied pop music conventions and appealed to the burgeoning counterculture.
Following his self-titled debut album in 1962, which mainly comprised traditional folk songs, Dylan made his breakthrough as a songwriter with the release of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan the following year. The album features "Blowin' in the Wind" and the thematically complex "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall". For many of these songs, he adapted the tunes and phraseology of older folk songs. He went on to release the politically charged The Times They Are a-Changin' and the more lyrically abstract and introspective Another Side of Bob Dylan in 1964. In 1965 and 1966, Dylan drew controversy when he adopted electrically amplified rock instrumentation, and in the space of 15 months recorded three of the most important and influential rock albums of the 1960s: Bringing It All Back Home (1965), Highway 61 Revisited (1965) and Blonde on Blonde (1966). Commenting on the six-minute single "Like a Rolling Stone" (1965), Rolling Stone wrote: "No other pop song has so thoroughly challenged and transformed the commercial laws and artistic conventions of its time, for all time."
- Cat Power on meeting her hero Bob Dylanhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06kn4fd.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06kn4fd.jpg2018-09-08T07:51:00.000Z'He looked at my shoes, scrolled up to meet my eyes and said, "so, we finally meet!"https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06kn3mj
Cat Power on meeting her hero Bob Dylan
- Memories of Bob Dylanhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p060lybn.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p060lybn.jpg2018-03-09T11:33:00.000ZMichael Kiwanuka recalls discovering Bob on his first ever tour.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p060lx19
Memories of Bob Dylan
- Ricky Ross performs Bob Dylan’s Make You Feel My Lovehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05hcncy.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05hcncy.jpg2017-09-27T09:59:00.000ZRicky sits at Elton’s piano to perform this much loved Dylan classic for Ken Bruce in the Radio 2 Piano Room.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05hckr1
Ricky Ross performs Bob Dylan’s Make You Feel My Love
- Why it's pointless trying to interview Bob Dylan!https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055qkxf.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055qkxf.jpg2017-06-12T17:39:00.000ZRock journalist David Hepworth on why Bob Dylan doesn't 'do' questions!https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p055qk75
Why it's pointless trying to interview Bob Dylan!
- Wonderful Peggy Seegerhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p034bdtt.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p034bdtt.jpg2015-10-04T14:16:00.000ZAfter 61 years on the road Peggy Seeger remembers her late husband Ewan MacColl; and shares memories of performing with her brother Pete, and Bob Dylan asking for an autograph.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p034bdtx
Wonderful Peggy Seeger
- When Dylan went electrichttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqh73.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqh73.jpg2015-08-28T14:32:00.000ZSid Griffin speaks to Stuart Maconie about Dylan Goes Electric!, a new book by Elijah Wald about the pivotal moment in the musician's career.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p030zkhy
When Dylan went electric
- Joe Boyd On An Illustrious Music Careerhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02zvnh6.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02zvnh6.jpg2015-08-16T14:45:00.000ZThe producer talks about a Grammy-winning live performance from Aretha; the mesmeric "one-take-wonder" Nick Drake; plugging in Dylan; the force that was Sandy Denny; and more.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02zvnhz
Joe Boyd On An Illustrious Music Career
- Bob Dylan is inducted in to Michael Balls Singers Hall of Famehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02mdzg5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02mdzg5.jpg2015-03-22T20:50:00.000ZBob Dylan is inducted in to the Singers Hall of Fame on Sunday Night with Michael Ballhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02mdzh7
Bob Dylan is inducted in to Michael Balls Singers Hall of Fame
- Bonnie Dobson on Dylan, Seeger and other folk luminarieshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02h57sc.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02h57sc.jpg2015-01-18T14:41:00.000ZThe singer-songwriter talks about composing Morning Dew, being part of a talent-filled folk scene in 1960s North America, hanging out with Bob Dylan, and returning to music.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02h57ts
Bonnie Dobson on Dylan, Seeger and other folk luminaries
- Sid Griffin on Bob Dylanhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02dzhn3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02dzhn3.jpg2014-12-10T13:02:00.000ZSid Griffin joins Mark and Stuart to talk about his Dylan book, Million Dollar Bash.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02dzhqk
Sid Griffin on Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan Tracks