Tom Jones Biography (Wikipedia)
Sir Thomas John Woodward OBE (born 7 June 1940), known professionally as Tom Jones, is a Welsh singer. His career has spanned six decades, from his emergence as a vocalist in the mid-1960s with a string of top hits, regular touring, appearances in Las Vegas (1967–2011), and career comebacks—to coaching on The Voice UK from 2012 (with the exception of 2016). Jones's powerful voice has been described as a "full-throated, robust baritone".
His performing range has included pop, R&B, show tunes, country, dance, soul and gospel. In 2008, the New York Times called Jones a musical "shape shifter", who could "slide from soulful rasp to pop croon, with a voice as husky as it was pretty". Jones has sold over 100 million records with thirty-six Top 40 hits in the United Kingdom and nineteen in the United States, including "It's Not Unusual", "What's New Pussycat", the theme song for the 1965 James Bond film Thunderball, "Delilah", "Green, Green Grass of Home", "She's a Lady", "Kiss" and "Sex Bomb".
- Sir Tom Jones in conversation with Michael Ballhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06s7wkz.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06s7wkz.jpg2018-11-19T16:36:00.000ZSir Tom Jones chats to Michael Ball at the Savoy for his Children in Need special.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06s7vtn
Sir Tom Jones in conversation with Michael Ball
- Playing the dhol for The Queen... with Sir Tom Jones!https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05qzrjr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05qzrjr.jpg2018-04-23T12:45:00.000ZCatch up with the man who wowed the nation, playing the dhol for The Queen's 92nd bash at The Royal Albert Hall. Discover how he got Tom Jones to go full Punjabi... "a-hah!"https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0652q20
Playing the dhol for The Queen... with Sir Tom Jones!
- "Singers need to move around in different areas musically" - Sir Tom Jones and Jennifer Hudson share tips on winning The Voicehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05t0cz7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05t0cz7.jpg2018-01-06T11:06:00.000ZSir Tom Jones and Jennifer Hudson chat to Dermot about The Voice.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05t0bq9
"Singers need to move around in different areas musically" - Sir Tom Jones and Jennifer Hudson share tips on winning The Voice
- Heartache & Heartbreak Trunk of Funkhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05msf0g.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05msf0g.jpg2017-11-11T21:05:00.000ZIn honour of P.P Arnold on the show we have a heartache and heartbreak playlist!https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05msd6q
Heartache & Heartbreak Trunk of Funk
- The Proms Podcast meets the stars of the Stax Promhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05f4g27.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05f4g27.jpg2017-09-04T14:49:00.000ZVikki Stone meets stars of the Stax Prom, including Sir Tom Jones and Booker T Jones.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05f4fv5
The Proms Podcast meets the stars of the Stax Prom
- The Stax Prom in 3 minutes (2017)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05dy5m3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05dy5m3.jpg2017-09-02T00:01:00.000ZHighlights from the Stax Records: 50 Years of Soul Prom.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05dy4s1
The Stax Prom in 3 minutes (2017)
- "The dude's got pipes" - Voice runners-up on Sir Tom Jones' big surprisehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04yy8ry.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04yy8ry.jpg2017-04-03T16:02:20.000ZDuo Into the Ark share the love for their legendary mentor and how he broke his 'big news'https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04yy4mc
"The dude's got pipes" - Voice runners-up on Sir Tom Jones' big surprise
- "I thought... that doesn't look real."https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqbgs.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqbgs.jpg2017-02-01T12:58:00.000ZLegendary singer Sir Tom Jones talks to John Wilson about not dyeing his hair and doing away with the tight trousers.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04rjqx9
"I thought... that doesn't look real."
- Tom Jones - Strange Thingshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqxwc.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqxwc.jpg2017-01-30T23:30:00.000ZSir Tom Jones performing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapeshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qqxwp
Tom Jones - Strange Things
- Tom Jones - Burning Hellhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqv4l.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqv4l.jpg2017-01-30T23:30:00.000ZSir Tom Jones performing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapeshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qr6fq
Tom Jones - Burning Hell
- Tom Jones - Run Onhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqvsx.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqvsx.jpg2017-01-30T23:30:00.000ZSir Tom Jones performing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapeshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qr6qm
Tom Jones - Run On
- Tom Jones - What Good Am I?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqwqn.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqwqn.jpg2017-01-30T23:30:00.000ZSir Tom Jones performing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapeshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qr76b
Tom Jones - What Good Am I?
- Tom Jones - If I Give My Soulhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqxlj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqxlj.jpg2017-01-30T23:30:00.000ZSir Tom Jones performing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapeshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qr7rx
Tom Jones - If I Give My Soul
- Tom Jones - Strange Thingshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqxwc.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qqxwc.jpg2017-01-30T23:30:00.000ZSir Tom Jones performing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapeshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qr8dv
Tom Jones - Strange Things
- Sir Tom Jones on finding his Voice after losing his wife Lindahttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04nlmy7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04nlmy7.jpg2017-01-06T16:12:28.000ZLinda, Tom's wife of 60 years, loved The Voice - but didn't love all of his choices.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04nlky4
Sir Tom Jones on finding his Voice after losing his wife Linda
- Sir Tom Jones vs Gary Barlow on Saturday night: Who does Tom think will win?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04nkz7f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04nkz7f.jpg2017-01-06T13:40:00.000ZIt's The Voice v Let It Shine; who does Sir Tom think will win the big TV ratings battle?https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04nkz98
Sir Tom Jones vs Gary Barlow on Saturday night: Who does Tom think will win?
- Sir Tom Jones on exactly how he was sacked from The Voicehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04ngjct.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04ngjct.jpg2017-01-05T17:16:00.000ZAs Sir Tom returns to The Voice, as it relaunches on ITV, he recalls how he heard the BBC were dropping him from the show - and how the way it was done left him unimpressed.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04ngjd1
Sir Tom Jones on exactly how he was sacked from The Voice
- Sir Tom Jones: "After losing my wife Linda, music saved me"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04ngh4x.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04ngh4x.jpg2017-01-05T17:05:00.000ZAs Sir Tom returns to TV's The Voice, he talks about his losing Linda, his wife of 59 years, who died in 2016.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04ngh7h
Sir Tom Jones: "After losing my wife Linda, music saved me"
- "Linda Wanted Me To Carry On"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03wn870.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03wn870.jpg2016-06-02T16:23:00.000ZSir Tom Jones on what made him return to music after the death of his wife of 59 yearshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03x23jf
"Linda Wanted Me To Carry On"
Tom Jones Tracks
Past BBC Events
Proms 2017: Prom 65: Stax Records: 50 Years of Soul
BBC Music Awards: 2014
Children in Need Rocks: 2013
Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park: 2012
Latest Tom Jones News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
David Bowie, Elvis Presley and the collaboration that never was
Priscilla Presley: "If Elvis had lived he'd have moved into gospel singing"
Engelbert Humperdinck: "I don't wear shorts... I've got terrible legs!"
Sir Cliff Richard: "Hearing your record on the radio was - and still is - a big thrill"
Priscilla Presley discusses Elvis on the 40th Anniversary of his death
Englebert Humperdinck: "I warm up my voice by yodelling."
Cliff Richard on some of today's young artists: "They are so much better than we were at that stage of our careers."
Can you imagine a Cliff Richard and Elvis Presley album?!
Sir Cliff Richard In Session
Sir Cliff Richard: "Without Elvis, there'd be no Cliff"