Benjamin Clementine Biography (Wikipedia)
Benjamin Sainte-Clémentine (born 7 December 1988) is an English artist, poet, vocalist, composer, and musician. Clementine's debut album At Least for Now won the 2015 Mercury Prize. In February 2019 he was named a knight of the Order of Arts and Letters by the French government, in recognition of his contribution to the arts.
Born and raised in London, England, Clementine later moved to Paris, France, becoming homeless as a teenager. There, his performances helped him to become a cult figure in the music and art scene. Moving back to London, he made his TV debut on the BBC programme Later With Jools Holland in 2013. A number of critics described him as becoming one of the great singer-songwriters of his generation and the future sound of London, whilst struggling to place his music in any one genre.
Considered by The New York Times as one of the 28 geniuses who defined culture in 2016, Clementine's compositions are musically incisive and attuned to the issues of life but also poetic, mixing revolt with love and melancholy, sophisticated lyricism with slang and shouts, and rhyming verse with prose monologues. He moved to popular art music, breaking free from traditional song structure, inventing his own dramatic and innovative musical territory. He is noticeably seen topless and barefoot onstage, dressed entirely in black or dark grey, with a long, wool trench coat.
- Benjamin Clementine - Cornerstonehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7gf3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7gf3.jpg2017-12-18T23:30:00.000ZBenjamin Clementine playing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapes.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05r78p8
Benjamin Clementine - Cornerstone
- Benjamin Clementine - God Save The Junglehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7hfs.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7hfs.jpg2017-12-18T23:30:00.000ZBenjamin Clementine playing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapes.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05r78tg
Benjamin Clementine - God Save The Jungle
- Benjamin Clementine - Condolencehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7dd9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7dd9.jpg2017-12-18T23:30:00.000ZBenjamin Clementine playing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapes.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05r78v1
Benjamin Clementine - Condolence
- Benjamin Clementine - Jupiterhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7jbr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7jbr.jpg2017-12-18T23:30:00.000ZBenjamin Clementine playing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapes.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05r78vx
Benjamin Clementine - Jupiter
- Benjamin Clementine - One Awkward Fishhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7k0f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05r7k0f.jpg2017-12-18T23:30:00.000ZBenjamin Clementine playing live at Maida Vale for Mastertapes.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05r78x1
Benjamin Clementine - One Awkward Fish
- Benjamin Clementine: “I felt very lonely”https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rfcvr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05rfcvr.jpg2017-12-18T11:26:00.000ZBenjamin Clementine reveals Cornerstone was inspired by living in a hostel for two-years.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05rfbn5
Benjamin Clementine: “I felt very lonely”
- Benjamin Clementine's emotionally charged performance of Gonehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p037vt9f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p037vt9f.jpg2017-05-31T08:00:00.000ZMercury Music Prize winner Benjamin Clementine performs his track 'Gone' at Elton John's piano in BBC Radio 2's Piano Roomhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p053sjw8
Benjamin Clementine's emotionally charged performance of Gone
Benjamin Clementine Tracks
Latest Benjamin Clementine News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Moses Sumney on the influence of Mark Rothko
Memories of Bob Dylan
Wendy & Lisa, Prince and the importance of sidemen/women
How varied are your musical tastes?
"When its about to break, it sounds the best." Michael Kiwanuka celebrates Sly and the Family Stone
'They were out there but vulnerable' - Michael Kiwanuka chats to Lauren about Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic and other influences
Lauren Laverne announces the nominees for the Mercury Prize 2016
Michael Kiwanuka - Glastonbury 2016 Highlights
'I definitely lost a lot of confidence' - Michael Kiwanuka escapes being stuck in a rut
Michael Kiwanuka: How I Found My Voice