John LennonThe Beatles. Born 9 October 1940. Died 8 December 1980
John Lennon Biography (Wikipedia)
John Winston Ono Lennon MBE (born John Winston Lennon, 9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980) was an English singer, songwriter and peace activist who gained worldwide fame as the founder, co-lead vocalist, and rhythm guitarist of the Beatles. His songwriting partnership with Paul McCartney remains the most successful in history. In 1969, he started the Plastic Ono Band with his second wife, Yoko Ono. After the Beatles disbanded in 1970, Lennon continued as a solo artist and as Ono's collaborator.
Born in Liverpool, Lennon became involved in the skiffle craze as a teenager. In 1956, he formed his first band, the Quarrymen, which evolved into the Beatles in 1960. He was initially the group's de facto leader, a role gradually ceded to McCartney. Lennon was characterised for the rebellious nature and acerbic wit in his music, writing, drawings, on film and in interviews. In the mid-1960s, he had two books published: In His Own Write and A Spaniard in the Works, both collections of nonsensical writings and line drawings. Starting with 1967's "All You Need Is Love", his lyrics espoused a pacifist message, and some of his songs were soon adopted as anthems by the anti-war movement and the larger counterculture.
- The Beatles History from The Quarrymen to The Maharishihttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06np991.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06np991.jpg2018-10-12T13:18:00.000ZTo get you in the mood for The White Album here are some of The Beatles key momentshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06np46k
The Beatles History from The Quarrymen to The Maharishi
- Magic Alex; John Lennon's electronic guruhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05ydmmy.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05ydmmy.jpg2018-02-16T13:46:00.000ZMarc Riley and Rob Hughes discuss Magic Alex, the Beatles' in-house electronic "expert"https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05ydl9z
Magic Alex; John Lennon's electronic guru
- When John Met Yokohttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05tpy12.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05tpy12.jpg2018-01-12T17:23:00.000ZThe A-Z of Psychedelia reaches I for the Indica Gallery, the Beatles favourite bookshop.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05tpsty
When John Met Yoko
- Richard White Interviewhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0452m70.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0452m70.jpg2016-08-21T15:55:00.000ZRichard White popped by the studios to chat about the rivalry between Lennon & McCartneyhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0452mb6
Richard White Interview
- John Lennon is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Famehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w3qd5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w3qd5.jpg2014-03-23T20:58:00.000ZJen Garner in Frodsham nominates John Lennon for a place in Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame on Radio 2https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01w3qdb
John Lennon is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame
John Lennon Tracks