Spandau Ballet Biography (Wikipedia)
Spandau Ballet are an English band formed in Islington, London in 1979. The band were inspired by, and an integral part of, the electro movement. They became one of the most successful groups to emerge during the New Romantic era. The band's classic line-up features brothers Gary Kemp and Martin Kemp on guitars, vocalist Tony Hadley, saxophonist Steve Norman, and drummer John Keeble.
The group's debut single "To Cut a Long Story Short", which reached No. 5 in the UK in 1980, was the first of ten UK top 10 hits, including a No. 1 single "True", a No. 2 single "Gold", and two No. 3 singles: "Chant No. 1" and "Only When You Leave". The band have had eight UK top 10 albums, including three greatest hits compilations and an album of re-recorded material.
At the height of their popularity in 1984, they received the Brit Award for technical excellence. The band split in 1990 and the members pursued solo careers, with both Kemp brothers winning acting roles. Since their reformation in 2009, the band have been recognised at the Q Awards and Gary Kemp's songwriting has been honoured by the Ivor Novello Awards.
- Gary Kemp on writing Gold: "I wanted to do a James Bond theme"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bvbxn.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bvbxn.jpg2013-06-24T18:03:00.000ZGary Kemp says he was inspired by John Barry and James Bond when writing Spandau Ballet's hit single, Gold.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01bvbyr
Gary Kemp on writing Gold: "I wanted to do a James Bond theme"
- Gary Kemp and Tony Hadley sing Spandau Ballet's Truehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqt7c.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqt7c.jpg2013-06-21T15:07:00.000ZGary Kemp and Tony Hadley perform the title track from their chart-topping album, True.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01bqt7y
Gary Kemp and Tony Hadley sing Spandau Ballet's True
- Gary Kemp and Tony Hadley sing Spandau Ballet's Lifelinehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqtnq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqtnq.jpg2013-06-21T14:57:00.000ZGary Kemp and Tony Hadley perform Lifeline from Spandau Ballet's hit album, True.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01bqtps
Gary Kemp and Tony Hadley sing Spandau Ballet's Lifeline
- Gary Kemp and Tony Hadley sing Spandau's Code of Lovehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqw4y.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqw4y.jpg2013-06-21T14:38:00.000ZGary Kemp and Tony Hadley perform part of Code of Love from Spandau Ballet's album, True.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01bqw58
Gary Kemp and Tony Hadley sing Spandau's Code of Love
- Gary Kemp on Spandau's True: "I wanted to write an Al Green song"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqvd1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqvd1.jpg2013-06-21T14:24:00.000ZGary Kemp explains what inspired him to write Spandau Ballet's worldwide hit single, True.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01bqvd5
Gary Kemp on Spandau's True: "I wanted to write an Al Green song"
Spandau Ballet Tracks