Robert SchumannBorn 8 June 1810. Died 29 July 1856
Robert Schumann Biography (Wikipedia)
Robert Schumann (8 June 1810 – 29 July 1856) was a German composer, pianist, and influential music critic. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest composers of the Romantic era. Schumann left the study of law, intending to pursue a career as a virtuoso pianist. His teacher, Friedrich Wieck, a German pianist, had assured him that he could become the finest pianist in Europe, but a hand injury ended this dream. Schumann then focused his musical energies on composing.
In 1840, after a long and acrimonious legal battle with Wieck, who opposed the marriage, Schumann married Wieck's daughter Clara. A lifelong partnership in music began, as Clara herself was an established pianist and music prodigy. Clara and Robert also maintained a close relationship with German composer Johannes Brahms.
Until 1840, Schumann wrote exclusively for the piano. Later, he composed piano and orchestral works, and many Lieder (songs for voice and piano). He composed four symphonies, one opera, and other orchestral, choral, and chamber works. His best-known works include Carnaval, Symphonic Studies, Kinderszenen, Kreisleriana, and the Fantasie in C. Schumann was known for infusing his music with characters through motifs, as well as references to works of literature. These characters bled into his editorial writing in the Neue Zeitschrift für Musik (New Journal for Music), a Leipzig-based publication that he co-founded.
- Schumann: Symphony No 2 in C major (3rd mvt – excerpt) (2017)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0591k3j.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0591k3j.jpg2017-07-23T19:50:00.000ZIn Schumann's Second Symphony the composer overcomes the demons of his own mental health to produce a work of invigorating, captivating extremes.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0591h58
Schumann: Symphony No 2 in C major (3rd mvt – excerpt) (2017)
- You may wish you had kept up with piano lessonshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0532zt3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0532zt3.jpg2017-05-16T12:34:00.000ZBenjamin Grosvenor performs Robert Schumann's elegant and expressive Arabeske Op.18 live on In Tune.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0532zhd
You may wish you had kept up with piano lessons
- Schumann: Liederkreis Op.24https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqfz9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqfz9.jpg2017-04-29T13:15:00.000ZBuilding a Library surveys recordings of Schumann's song cycle 'Liederkreis', Op.24.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p051hk0s
Schumann: Liederkreis Op.24
- Two exquisite songs performed by Alice Coote and Julius Drakehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qv8j4.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04qv8j4.jpg2017-01-26T12:51:00.000Z'Frage' and 'Stille Tränen' from Robert Schumann's Kerner Lieder, sung live on In Tune.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04qvbbn
Two exquisite songs performed by Alice Coote and Julius Drake
- Muttertraum: Sarah Connolly sings Schumann's chilling song live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jbmth.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jbmth.jpg2016-11-29T11:19:00.000ZJoseph Middleton accompanies the mezzo-soprano in the dark tale of a mother's dream.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04jbqms
Muttertraum: Sarah Connolly sings Schumann's chilling song live on In Tune
- Schumann: Violin Concerto (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntnmc.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntnmc.jpg2016-04-17T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ntv1f
Schumann: Violin Concerto (extract)
- Susan Graham sings Schumann live in the studiohttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nyd68.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nyd68.jpg2016-03-25T16:53:00.000ZSusan Graham sings Schumann's 'Er, der Herrlichste von allen' live in the In Tune studio.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nyk11
Susan Graham sings Schumann live in the studio
- Robert Schumann and literaturehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02f46sr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02f46sr.jpg2014-12-12T13:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the music and literary influences of Robert Schumannhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02f4752
Robert Schumann and literature
Robert Schumann Tracks