OasisEnglish rock band (1991–2009). Formed 1991. Disbanded 28 August 2009
Oasis Biography (Wikipedia)
Oasis were an English rock band formed in Manchester in 1991. Developed from an earlier group, the Rain, the band originally consisted of Liam Gallagher (vocals, tambourine), Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs (guitar), Paul "Guigsy" McGuigan (bass guitar), and Tony McCarroll (drums). Upon returning to Manchester, Liam's older brother, Noel Gallagher (lead guitar, vocals) joined as a fifth member, which formed the band's core and settled line-up. During the course of their existence, they have undergone various line-up changes.
Oasis signed to independent record label Creation Records in 1993 and released their record-setting debut album Definitely Maybe (1994). The following year the band recorded (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (1995) with drummer Alan White, in the midst of a chart rivalry with Britpop peers Blur. Along with Suede, Pulp, Blur and others, Oasis came to be regarded as one of the major bands of the Britpop movement. In many respects, they eclipsed their peers in terms of commercial success and their influence on British culture. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? became one of the best-selling albums of all time, selling 22 million copies worldwide and the Gallagher brothers were featured regularly in tabloid newspapers for their sibling disputes and wild lifestyles. In 1996, Oasis performed two nights at Knebworth for an audience of 125,000 each night, which were at the time the largest outdoor concerts in UK history. 2.5 million people applied for tickets, which remains the highest demand for a show in British history. In 1997, Oasis released their third album, Be Here Now (1997); although it was the fastest-selling album in UK chart history, and went on to sell 8 million copies, its popularity tapered off quickly.
- Liz was joined by Bonehead from Oasishttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04vvfbb.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04vvfbb.jpg2017-03-04T16:00:00.000ZAs part of #6Music94 Bonehead from Oasis was in the studio with Lizhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04vslj1
Liz was joined by Bonehead from Oasis
- "Does it take somebody to lose an eye?" - Oasis demand gig security (Music News 1994)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04vp1rr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04vp1rr.jpg2017-03-03T14:42:00.000ZAfter the chaos and cancellation of the opening Newcastle date of their UK tour, Oasis are insisting that security is provided for future concerts.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04vnzxt
"Does it take somebody to lose an eye?" - Oasis demand gig security (Music News 1994)
- The man who discovered Oasishttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p049ytqx.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p049ytqx.jpg2016-10-04T12:17:00.000ZWould Oasis have been successful in 2016? Record label boss Alan McGee remembers discovering the band, and how the music industry has changed since then.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p049yttd
The man who discovered Oasis
- Why did Liam Gallagher get spooked in a Welsh recording studio?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0497506.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0497506.jpg2016-09-27T15:28:00.000Z"Supersonic" director Mat Whitecross on rock band Oasis' hijinks in Monmouthshirehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p049750x
Why did Liam Gallagher get spooked in a Welsh recording studio?
- Oasis Live At Knebworth 1996https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p043chhf.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p043chhf.jpg2016-08-10T18:31:00.000ZAn hour of Oasis' historic performance to 125,000 people at Knebworth, originally broadcast live on Sunday 11th August 1996.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0448cn8
Oasis Live At Knebworth 1996
- Oasis: Cigarettes & Alcoholhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p025fsvf.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p025fsvf.jpg2014-08-25T11:10:00.000ZNoel Gallagher admits that he 'appropriated' the famous Oasis riff from elsewhere...!https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p025fsvy
Oasis: Cigarettes & Alcohol
Past BBC Events
Latest Oasis News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
"Most fun ever on tour with those guys" - Noel Gallagher on partying hard with U2
"I've been sacked a few times" - Liz was joined by The Verve's Nick McCabe & Simon Jones
"You can hear some demented guy screaming..." - Richard Ashcroft on Liam Gallagher's hidden Urban Hymns appearance
"A love affair that lasts to this day" - Hear how Guy discovered the Stone Roses in the back of an Austin Allegro.
Noel Gallagher sings AKA... What a Life!
Noel Gallagher sings AKA... Broken Arrow
Noel Gallagher sings Everybody's on the Run
Noel Gallagher sings If I Had a Gun
Noel Gallagher chats to Jo Whiley