Mark E. SmithFormer lead singer of British post‐punk band The Fall. Born 5 March 1957. Died 24 January 2018
Mark E. Smith Biography (Wikipedia)
Mark Edward Smith (5 March 1957 – 24 January 2018) was an English singer and songwriter, who was the lead singer, lyricist and only constant member of the post-punk group the Fall. Smith led the band from 1976 until his death, having formed the band after attending the June 1976 Sex Pistols gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester. During their 42-year existence, the Fall's line-up included some 60 musicians with whom Smith released 32 studio albums and numerous singles and EPs.
Smith had a difficult and complex personality and was a long-term alcoholic. He was known for his biting and targeted wit, evident in interviews, for which he was much in demand by music journalists throughout his career. He was suspicious of the trappings of fame and largely avoided socialising with people associated with the music scene, including other Fall members. The dark and sardonic aspect of his personality often appears in his lyrics; he especially derided music industry people. Smith's approach to music was unconventional and he did not have a high regard for musicianship, stating that "rock & roll isn’t even music really. It's a mistreating of instruments to get feelings over".
- "He could be horrible and he could be beautiful" – Clint Boon remembers Mark E Smithhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w5lrg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w5lrg.jpg2018-01-26T12:19:00.000ZClint Boon recalls working with Mark and being asked to join The Fall.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w5gt6
"He could be horrible and he could be beautiful" – Clint Boon remembers Mark E Smith
- The Fall - I Can Hear The Grass Grow (Later Archive 2005)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2vxq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2vxq.jpg2018-01-25T17:33:00.000ZThe Fall perform I Can Hear The Grass Grow on Later... with Jools Holland in 2005https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w2r0h
The Fall - I Can Hear The Grass Grow (Later Archive 2005)
- The Fall - Blindness (Later Archive 2005)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2v2l.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2v2l.jpg2018-01-25T17:26:00.000ZThe Fall perform Blindness on Later... with Jools Holland in 2005https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w2qw7
The Fall - Blindness (Later Archive 2005)
- Music News Mark E Smith Specialhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2qpf.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2qpf.jpg2018-01-25T17:03:00.000ZMark Radliffe and Clare Crane reflect on the life and music of Mark E Smith, including interviews with Tim Burgess and Marc Riley.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w2nh8
Music News Mark E Smith Special
- “Once it’s got you, you never let go” – Stewart Lee on the music of The Fallhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2j3k.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w2j3k.jpg2018-01-25T16:22:00.000ZMark Radcliffe talks to Stewart Lee about the legacy of Mark E Smith.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w2g4k
“Once it’s got you, you never let go” – Stewart Lee on the music of The Fall
- “He was so incredibly brilliant” – Brix Smith Start on Mark E Smithhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w290w.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w290w.jpg2018-01-25T15:36:00.000ZMark Radcliffe speaks with Brix about her time with Mark and as a member of The Fall.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w25r9
“He was so incredibly brilliant” – Brix Smith Start on Mark E Smith
- Sharon Horgan - "The Fall were pretty much the only band I listened to in the early 90s"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w1vj2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w1vj2.jpg2018-01-25T13:20:00.000ZActor Sharon Horgan take us on an intimate journey of her favourite band as she discusses their significance and plays out the tracks that meant so much to her in the early 90s.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w1rkf
Sharon Horgan - "The Fall were pretty much the only band I listened to in the early 90s"
- Marc Riley and Gideon Coe reflect on the death of Mark E. Smithhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w1jt3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05w1jt3.jpg2018-01-25T11:26:00.000ZGideon speaks to Marc following the passing of the Fall's frontman.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05w1fbz
Marc Riley and Gideon Coe reflect on the death of Mark E. Smith
- Mark E Smith joins Mark and Stuarthttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p018pxdd.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p018pxdd.jpg2013-05-07T11:56:00.000ZMark E Smith of the Fall joins Mark and Stuart to talk about their new album RE-MIT.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p018pxfy
Mark E Smith joins Mark and Stuart
Mark E. Smith Tracks