Aretha FranklinBorn 25 March 1942. Died 16 August 2018
Aretha Franklin Biography (Wikipedia)
Aretha Louise Franklin (March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018) was an American singer, songwriter, pianist, and civil rights activist. Franklin began her career as a child singing gospel at New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan, where her father C. L. Franklin was minister. At the age of 18, she embarked on a secular musical career as a recording artist for Columbia Records. While Franklin's career did not immediately flourish, she found acclaim and commercial success after signing with Atlantic Records in 1966. Hit songs such as "Respect", "Chain of Fools", "Think", "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman", "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)", and "I Say a Little Prayer", propelled her past her musical peers. By the end of the 1960s, Aretha Franklin had come to be known as "The Queen of Soul".
Franklin continued to record acclaimed albums such as I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (1967), Lady Soul (1968), Spirit in the Dark (1970), Young, Gifted and Black (1972), Amazing Grace (1972), and Sparkle (1976) before experiencing problems with her record company. Franklin left Atlantic in 1979 and signed with Arista Records. She appeared in the 1980 film The Blues Brothers before releasing the successful albums Jump to It (1982), Who's Zoomin' Who? (1985), and Aretha (1986) on the Arista label. In 1998, Franklin returned to the Top 40 with the Lauryn Hill-produced song "A Rose Is Still a Rose"; later, she released an album of the same name which was certified gold. That same year, Franklin earned international acclaim for her performance of "Nessun dorma" at the Grammy Awards; she filled in at the last minute for Luciano Pavarotti, who canceled his appearance after the show had already begun. In a widely noted performance, she paid tribute to 2015 honoree Carole King by singing "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" at the Kennedy Center Honors.
- “It was so exciting and thrilling” – Carole King watching Aretha Franklin perform (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Womanhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04zrtsd.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04zrtsd.jpg2017-04-11T13:09:00.000ZThe song written by Carole in partnership with her then-husband Gerry Goffin and producer Jerry Wexler was released by Aretha in the 60s and went on to become an enduring hit.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04zqsrp
“It was so exciting and thrilling” – Carole King watching Aretha Franklin perform (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
- Aretha Franklin | Pocket Legendhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p038fgzx.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p038fgzx.jpg2016-02-05T13:41:00.000ZThis week Stephen's pocket legend is Aretha Franklin.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03hmm67
Aretha Franklin | Pocket Legend
- Joe Boyd On An Illustrious Music Careerhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02zvnh6.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02zvnh6.jpg2015-08-16T14:45:00.000ZThe producer talks about a Grammy-winning live performance from Aretha; the mesmeric "one-take-wonder" Nick Drake; plugging in Dylan; the force that was Sandy Denny; and more.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02zvnhz
Joe Boyd On An Illustrious Music Career
- The Funk & Soul Years - 1967https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02j1cjj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02j1cjj.jpg2015-01-31T20:45:00.000ZCraig takes you back to 1967 - The Summer of Love - for The Funk & Soul Years.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02j1cjz
The Funk & Soul Years - 1967
- Aretha Franklin is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Famehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01mtqp2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01mtqp2.jpg2013-12-08T21:01:00.000ZYvonne Graham from Yateley nominates Aretha Franklin for a place in Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame on Radio 2https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01mtqpn
Aretha Franklin is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame
Aretha Franklin Tracks
Latest Aretha Franklin News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
"Michael Jackson paid attention to details - he didn't miss nothin'!"
Craig Charles In Conversation With Rick Hall
Funk Family Tree: Sugar Pie DeSanto - Nancy Wilson
The Funk & Soul Years - 1968
Etta James is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame
Diana Ross is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame