Royal Philharmonic OrchestraFormed 1946
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO), based in London, was formed by Sir Thomas Beecham in 1946. In its early days, the orchestra secured profitable recording contracts and important engagements including the Glyndebourne Festival Opera and the concerts of the Royal Philharmonic Society. After Beecham's death in 1961 the orchestra's fortunes declined steeply; it battled for survival until the mid-1960s, when its future was secured after an Arts Council report recommended that it should receive public subsidy; a further crisis arose in the same era when it seemed that the orchestra's right to call itself "Royal" could be withdrawn.
Since Beecham's death, the RPO has had seven chief conductors, including Rudolf Kempe, Antal Doráti, André Previn and Vladimir Ashkenazy. Others closely associated with the orchestra have included Sir Charles Groves, Sir Charles Mackerras, Peter Maxwell Davies, Yehudi Menuhin and Leopold Stokowski.
In 2004, the orchestra acquired its first permanent London base, at the new Cadogan Hall in Chelsea. The RPO also gives concerts at the Royal Festival Hall, the Royal Albert Hall and venues around the UK and other countries. From its earliest days, the orchestra has been active in the recording studios, making film soundtracks and numerous gramophone recordings; many of the LP recordings conducted by Beecham and others have been reissued on compact disc.
- Saint‐Saëns: Symphony No 3 in C minor, 'Organ' – excerpt (2017)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05cprbp.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05cprbp.jpg2017-08-17T17:30:00.000ZCameron Carpenter is the soloist in the mighty 'Organ' Symphony by Saint‐Saëns, who regarded it as the pinnacle of his achievement. Charles Dutoit conducts.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05cpqjz
Saint‐Saëns: Symphony No 3 in C minor, 'Organ' – excerpt (2017)
- Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2 - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T16:07:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01nhn0k
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2 - Preview Clip
- Debussy: La mer - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T15:58:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Debussy's La mer.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01nhmd7
Debussy: La mer - Preview Clip
- Krzysztof Penderecki: Concerto grosso - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T15:54:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Krzysztof Penderecki's Concerto grosso.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01nhk4t
Krzysztof Penderecki: Concerto grosso - Preview Clip
- Stravinsky: Fireworks - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T15:49:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Stravinsky's Fireworks.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01nhjcb
Stravinsky: Fireworks - Preview Clip