Johann Sebastian BachGerman Baroque period composer & musician. Born 21 March 1685. Died 28 July 1750
Johann Sebastian Bach Biography (BBC)
Born in the German town of Eisenach, J. S. Bach was a chorister then violinist before taking his first organist post at Arnstadt while still a teenager. It was in Weimar, as court organist from 1708, that Bach began to produce monthly cantatas, and wrote many of his great organ works, as well as organ transcriptions of concertos by Vivaldi.
In 1717 Prince Leopold offered him the position of Kapellmeister at Cöthen, where he wrote the Brandenburg Concertos, the four Orchestral Suites and the violin concertos, and married his second wife Anna Magdalena, who bore 13 children. Bach's fearsome duties in his final job, as Kantor of the Thomasschule in Leipzig from 1723 until his death, involved teaching Latin and Music, choir-training, and writing and directing music for the services.
Nevertheless he managed also to write the Mass in B minor, the six choral Motets, The Art of Fugue, The Musical Offering and Goldberg Variations during this time. His inventive contrapuntalism became unfashionable soon after his death until the early 19th century, since when his reputation has remained unquestioned.
Profile © Edward Bhesania
Johann Sebastian Bach Biography (Wikipedia)
Johann Sebastian Bach (31 March [O.S. 21 March] 1685 – 28 July 1750) was a German composer and musician of the Baroque period. He is known for instrumental compositions such as the Brandenburg Concertos and the Goldberg Variations as well as for vocal music such as the St Matthew Passion and the Mass in B minor. Since the 19th-century Bach Revival he has been generally regarded as one of the greatest composers of all time.
The Bach family already counted several composers when Johann Sebastian was born as the last child of a city musician in Eisenach. After becoming an orphan at age 10, he lived for five years with his eldest brother Johann Christoph Bach, after which he continued his musical development in Lüneburg. From 1703 he was back in Thuringia, working as a musician for Protestant churches in Arnstadt and Mühlhausen and, for longer stretches of time, at courts in Weimar—where he expanded his repertoire for the organ—and Köthen—where he was mostly engaged with chamber music. From 1723 he was employed as Thomaskantor (cantor at St. Thomas) in Leipzig. He composed music for the principal Lutheran churches of the city, and for its university's student ensemble Collegium Musicum. From 1726 he published some of his keyboard and organ music. In Leipzig, as had happened in some of his earlier positions, he had a difficult relation with his employer, a situation that was little remedied when he was granted the title of court composer by King Augustus III of Poland in 1736. In the last decades of his life he reworked and extended many of his earlier compositions. He died of complications after eye surgery in 1750.
- Johann Sebastian Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 2, No. 3 - Extract (Prom 63)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06jtbf2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p06jtbf2.jpg2018-09-30T22:00:00.000ZPrelude and Fugue No. 3 in C Sharp Major BWV 872 played by Sir András Schiff.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p06jtcxt
Johann Sebastian Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 2, No. 3 - Extract (Prom 63)
- Bach: Brandenburg Concertoshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01xz2p2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01xz2p2.jpg2017-12-23T12:02:00.000ZBuilding a Library surveys recordings of J. S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05rwylx
Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
- J S Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1 – excerpt (2017)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fj5kr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05fj5kr.jpg2017-09-08T15:09:00.000ZSir András Schiff performs the Prelude in C from the 'Old Testament’ of the keyboard repertoire: Bach's sequences of Preludes and Fugues in every key.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05fj0qr
J S Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1 – excerpt (2017)
- Encore! Anne-Sophie Mutter dazzles in the Gigue from Bach's Partita in D minor (2017)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05f7568.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p05f7568.jpg2017-09-04T18:30:00.000ZAnne-Sophie Mutter dazzles in the Gigue from Bach's D minor Partita after performing Dvořák's Violin Concerto.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p05f6swh
Encore! Anne-Sophie Mutter dazzles in the Gigue from Bach's Partita in D minor (2017)
- "Bach sounds like folk music to me"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055698l.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p055698l.jpg2017-06-07T11:35:00.000ZRichard Durrant plays Bach on his gorgeous Uffington Horse guitar, live in the In Tune studio. It's taken from Bach's first Cello suite in G, introduced with the Skye Boat Song.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0556951
"Bach sounds like folk music to me"
- Serene violin/cello: Rachel Podger plays Bach live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04rrrk9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04rrrk9.jpg2017-02-03T10:58:00.000ZRachel Podger plays the Prelude to J.S. Bach's second Cello Suite... on her violin.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04rrtvx
Serene violin/cello: Rachel Podger plays Bach live on In Tune
- Bach on Moogs from an Earth Stationhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04kp1f2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04kp1f2.jpg2016-12-08T15:47:00.000ZWill Gregory and his Moog Orchestra perform live on In Tune from Goonhilly Earth Station in Cornwall - part of 70th anniversary celebrations of the Third Programme.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04kp3p6
Bach on Moogs from an Earth Station
- Thrilling Bach from Hilary Hahn live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jpys1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jpys1.jpg2016-12-01T11:20:00.000ZHilary Hahn's breathtaking performance of the Preludio from Bach's Violin Partita No 3.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04jq2bl
Thrilling Bach from Hilary Hahn live on In Tune
- Sebastian Knauer plays a peaceful Prelude by Bach live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jbtb0.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04jbtb0.jpg2016-11-29T12:28:00.000ZThe pianist performs the Prelude No. 4 in C sharp minor from the Well-Tempered Clavier.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04jbz7m
Sebastian Knauer plays a peaceful Prelude by Bach live on In Tune
- Vibrant Bach from Danny Driver live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04dvkl2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04dvkl2.jpg2016-11-01T14:58:00.000ZThe pianist plays the Allemande and Courante from J.S. Bach's French Suite No. 5 in G.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04dvmxz
Vibrant Bach from Danny Driver live on In Tune
- Live from Edinburgh's Big Blue Tent: the Ferio Saxophone Quartet play Bachhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0447w9y.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0447w9y.jpg2016-08-10T16:49:00.000ZThe Ferio Saxophone Quartet play their arrangement of Bach's Prelude in G minor live on In Tune at the Edinburgh Festivalhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0447yy6
Live from Edinburgh's Big Blue Tent: the Ferio Saxophone Quartet play Bach
- Alban Gerhardt performs Bach live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03szbbk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03szbbk.jpg2016-05-03T14:46:00.000ZAlban Gerhardt performs the Prelude from Bach's Cello Suite no.2 live on In Tunehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03szcy5
Alban Gerhardt performs Bach live on In Tune
- J. S. Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ny2lt.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ny2lt.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ny3s0
J. S. Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (extract)
- Bach: Cantata No. 82, ‘Ich Habe Genug’ (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxw6r.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxw6r.jpg2016-04-19T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nxxqn
Bach: Cantata No. 82, ‘Ich Habe Genug’ (extract)
Johann Sebastian Bach Tracks
Latest Johann Sebastian Bach News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
An unforgettable and inspiring performance of Handel
Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No 5 in C minor - Excerpt
Colin Currie: the disturbing and beautiful musical landscape of Schubert
Paul Lewis: how can life shape the way we hear music?
Schubert: Die schöne Müllerin
Handel: Concerti a due cori
Meet Sofi Jeannin
Haydn: String Quartet in G minor, Op.20, No.3
Beethoven: Piano Sonata No.30 in E, Op.109