John Lydon Biography (Wikipedia)
John Joseph Lydon (born 31 January 1956), also known by his stage name Johnny Rotten, is an English singer, songwriter and musician. He is best known as the lead singer of the late-1970s British punk band the Sex Pistols, which lasted from 1975 until 1978, and again for various revivals during the 1990s and 2000s. He is also the lead singer of post-punk band Public Image Ltd (PiL), which he founded and fronted from 1978 until 1993, and again since 2009. Since 2013, Lydon has held British, Irish and American citizenship.
Lydon's outspoken persona, rebellious image and fashion style led to his being asked to become the singer of the Sex Pistols by their manager, Malcolm McLaren. With the Sex Pistols, he penned singles including "Anarchy in the U.K.," "God Save the Queen," and "Holidays in the Sun," the content of which precipitated what one commentator described as the "last and greatest outbreak of pop-based moral pandemonium" in Britain. The band caused a nationwide uproar in much of the media, and Lydon was seen as a figurehead of the burgeoning punk movement. Despite their controversial lyrics and style at the time, they are now regarded as one of the most influential acts in the history of popular music.
- John Lydon: "Butter did me wonders but I can't be rubbing it under my arms forever"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04y6tf5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04y6tf5.jpg2017-03-27T17:45:00.000ZJohn explains to Simon Mayo how PiL now fund themselves outside of the record industry.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04y6sxx
John Lydon: "Butter did me wonders but I can't be rubbing it under my arms forever"
- John Lydon: "Donald Trump is a political Sex Pistol"https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04y6t5t.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04y6t5t.jpg2017-03-27T17:45:00.000ZJohnny Rotten tells Simon Mayo why he has mixed feelings about Donald Trump's presidency.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04y6sxz
John Lydon: "Donald Trump is a political Sex Pistol"
- John Lydon (Secret Soul Boy)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cx5hh.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cx5hh.jpg2014-11-29T21:00:00.000ZThe Sex Pistols' Mr John Lydon shares his love of funk and soul with Craig.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02cx5j2
John Lydon (Secret Soul Boy)
- John Lydon chats to Radcliffe and Maconiehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p028dk7p.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p028dk7p.jpg2014-10-10T13:38:00.000ZPunk rocker Johnny Rotten AKA John Lydon formerly of Sex Pistols is on the show with Mark and Stuart to talk about his autobiography Anger Is An Energy: My Life Uncensored.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p028dm55
John Lydon chats to Radcliffe and Maconie
- John Lydon Interviewhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p028d9h9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p028d9h9.jpg2014-10-10T11:51:00.000ZJohn Lydon, formerly Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols and lead singer in Public Image Ltd, talks to Simon Mayo about new memoir Anger is an Energy.https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p028dbfd
John Lydon Interview
John Lydon Tracks
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
"Karate has pulled me from the brink on a couple of occasions" - JJ Burnel
"Let's be honest, we were getting a bit stale" - The Stranglers' JJ Burnel talks collaborative creativity
The Stranglers' JJ Burnel on winning the 2016 Punk Rock World Cup
JJ Burnel chats to Liz Kershaw
Jean-Jacques Burnel - My 70s
The Stranglers chat with Steve Lamacq