BBC Worldwide’s new global brands BBC Brit and BBC Earth prove a hit with South African audiences
I’m delighted with BBC Brit and BBC Earth’s performance so far. The response from South African audiences is very promising and we’re looking forward to seeing the channels continue to grow over the coming months. South Africa will also be the first country in the world to receive all three global brands when BBC First launches on October 18.Joel Churcher, General Manager and Vice President Africa at BBC Worldwide
They have become instant winners with local audiences, providing strong overnight figures * for launch week on Multichoice’s DStv platform:
- In terms of overall share, BBC Brit overtook established rivals to rank in the top three of its international broadcaster competitive set for key audiences.
- BBC Earth reached the highest proportion of audiences in its key competitive set for LSM 8-10s.
- Viewership share peaked during the transmission of Top Gear at 19:00 UTC, ranking BBC Brit second in its international competitive set.
- BBC Brit saw an 83% uplift in All Day share among LSM 7-10 males and a whopping 173% increase among this demographic during daytime viewing, compared to BBC Entertainment’s 2015 average.
- BBC Earth’s ranking rose by four places compared to BBC Knowledge’s final week on air.
Joel Churcher, General Manager and Vice President Africa at BBC Worldwide commented: “I’m delighted with BBC Brit and BBC Earth’s performance so far. The response from South African audiences is very promising and we’re looking forward to seeing the channels continue to grow over the coming months. South Africa will also be the first country in the world to receive all three global brands when BBC First launches on October 18.”
With content ranging from cars and business to documentaries and science, BBC Brit is the home to brand new Top Gear episodes. It is a place to learn and laugh at the hands of some of the most endearing and quirky characters on television. BBC Brit is available to DStv Premium, Extra and Compact customers on channel 120.
BBC Earth celebrates the belief that real life is better than fiction. From microscopic creatures to the limitless expanses of space, BBC Earth’s charismatic experts and adventurers takes South African audiences on a thrilling journey of discovery and invite them to share in the wonders of the universe. Broadcast in HD, BBC Earth is exclusively available to DStv Premium customers on channel 184.
South Africa is the first territory in the world to launch all three of BBC Worldwide’s new global genre brands, with BBC First launching on 18 October 2015. The launches follow the successful European debuts of BBC Brit and BBC Earth in Poland, the Nordics, Hungary, Romania and Turkey earlier this year. BBC First launched in Australia in mid-2014 and in Belgium and The Netherlands earlier this year. BBC Earth launched in Latin America on September 1st and will launch in Asia on October 3rd.
* Source: DSTVi/Kantar
For more information, please contact:
NOTES TO EDITORS
- BBC Brit and BBC Earth are available in Poland. BBC Earth in Turkey, Romania and Hungary. BBC Brit in the Nordics.
- *LSM = Living Standard Measure – a segmentation measurement used in South Africa.
About BBC Worldwide
BBC Worldwide is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). Its vision is to build the BBC’s brands, audiences, commercial returns and reputation across the world. This is achieved through investing in, commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC around the world, in a way that is consistent with BBC standards and values. The business also champions British creativity globally.
In 2014/15, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £138.6m and headline sales of £1,001.8m and returned a record £226.5m to the BBC. For more detailed performance information please see our Annual Review website:
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here