Who Do You Think You Are? Julie Walters
Confirmed for BBC One on 7 August at 9.00pm to 10.00pm
Thursday 7 August
BBC ONE BBC ONE HDNEW
Kicking off the exciting new series of BBC One's hit genealogy series, Julie opens up about taking part in Who Do You Think You Are? and speaks of her love for the country. She discovers that her roots that take her back to County Mayo, Western Ireland, where her great grandfather Anthony Clarke was one of the very first members of the Land League – a revolutionary organisation formed in 1879, which campaigned for more than 40 years for impoverished tenant farmers to have the right to own their own land.
“I didn’t set out to live on a farm with a farmer, even though I love a big urban city, I always thought I want to be living in the countryside.”
“That was like a little fantasy at the back of my head.”
“I can’t explain it, I love the feel of it – it’s earthy. It is an utter and complete contrast to working in the business.”
“I think our genes do hugely influence who we are. I was drawn to the countryside – so maybe there is some kind of link to way back. Grandparents and great, grandparents – I hope we’re going to find out what they’re like, to see how much they’ve influenced who I am.”
“I hope there are a few skeletons – it’d be a bit dull if there aren’t any. I just hope they’re not too embarrassing. I want to be able to walk down the street and I want to go into Boots and buy my wipes and things like that without people going – did you see Who Do You Think You Are?, blimey!”
Notes To Editors: Running order for series 11
1. Julie Walters
2. Brian Blessed - Brian wants to know where his adventuring spirit comes from – and discovers a real-life Oliver Twist in his family tree.
3. Tamzin Outhwaite - Tamzin’s journey into her past follows the rags to riches story of her Italian great grandfather.
4. Brendan O’Carroll – Brendan’s story is a deeply personal quest to solve a murderous family mystery.
5. Sheridan Smith – Sheridan has grown up surrounded by a musical family and she’s on a hunt to find out where it all started.
6. BREAK IN TX
7. Mary Berry – Mary wants to know where – at 79 – her energy and drive comes from. Her journey reveals some unexpected and some familiar twists and turns.
8. Martin Shaw - Martin never knew his grandfather. An old photograph inspires a journey to uncover who he was.
9. Reggie Yates – Reggie grew up knowing very little about his father’s side of the family. A trip back to Ghana reveals a complex family history, where Ghanaian culture and British colonialism collide.
10. Twiggy – Twiggy grew up in a close-knit family in London - but admits that her parents told her nothing at all about her family. Her adventure reveals a colourful cast of characters.
11. Billy Connolly will mark the 100th episode. The comedian has always considered himself Scottish through and through – but discovers that his ancestry is considerably more exotic.
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here