What’s New? is now on TV for young Africans
What’s New? is for and about young people across Africa. It gives them the chance to find out more about the world in a fresh and energetic wayNisha Kapur, BBC Commissioning Editor, Africa
Nisha Kapur, BBC Commissioning Editor, says: “What’s New? is for and about young people across Africa. It gives them the chance to find out more about the world in a fresh and energetic way."
What’s New? will include three regular segments each week:
- Behind the headlines: This segment explores a story which has featured regularly in the news and will fully explain through graphics and films what the story is about.
- The big interview: A weekly interview with a celebrity - or someone who is making the news in Africa. This will include musicians, artists, authors and many others.
- My Story: What’s New? gives young people a chance to tell their own stories about their lives, school and what they enjoy doing.
Co-presenters Debula Kemoli and Ben Hunte will bring their own infectious style to What’s New?
Debula Kemoli says: “There are many stories young people want to share - I can’t wait to tell them all.”
Ben Hunte says: “I’ve wanted to become a BBC presenter since I started watching TV! I’m now living my dream.”
The programme will be presented from an immersive virtual studio where stories will be brought to life in a fun and engaging way using the latest VR technology.
What’s New? will engage younger viewers with events in Africa and the wider world, through specially commissioned features, such as:
- Fake News And Reality Check For Kids: What’s New? will help the audience distinguish between trustworthy news stories and sources, and fake content that is being shared online. It will also expose misleading facts and figures which distort the reporting of a story.
- The Conversation: This regular series will explore topics that children are talking about. What’s New? will get groups of young people talking to each other, focusing on areas that they might find hard to discuss with adults.
With What’s New? You’ll never miss out!
Notes to Editors
To watch the programme search for Whats New? on YouTube every Saturday from 9am GMT. The team will be posting exclusive clips throughout the week on this channel.
Via Partners in English - the following times are local and are subject to change
Kenya - KTN: Saturdays 12:30
Liberia - LNTV: Fridays 18:30. Starts 29 June.
Namibia - One Africa TV: Sundays 11:00
Nigeria - ABS Anambra: Fridays 17:00 (29 June); TVC Saturdays 10:00; Silverbird Televisio: Saturdays 10:00, Sundays 08:00 (repeat)
Sierra Leone - SLBC TV: Saturdays 13:00, Sundays 13:00
Uganda - NBS: Saturdays 08.30
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here