Middle East and North Africa
Our diverse projects and programmes across the Middle East and North Africa reflect many of the region's challenges: media development, bridging divides, working with displaced communities, engaging young people and crisis response.
- Our office: Tunis (covering North Africa) and London-based
- Our areas of focus: Peacebuilding and social cohesion, political participation and accountability, crisis response, media development
- Our partners: The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, European Union, Dutch embassy, Danish Refugee Council
- On social media: Al Mirbad is on Twitter and YouTube. El Kul is on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About our work
Our work with media and communication across the Middle East and North Africa strengthens and supports local broadcasters to bridge divides, improve political participation and accountability, and engage young people on issues that matter.
In Iraq, we are supporting Basra-based broadcaster Al Mirbad to become a leading voice.
From our base in Tunis, we are working in Libya to support El Kul, a social media platform with over 1 million followers, to foster social cohesion, combat disinformation and encourage inclusion in a deeply divided country.
In Algeria, we support public service media to explore issues that matter most to communities, to search out the voices of marginalised groups, including women, and to create entertaining and informative programming around entrepreneurship and financial literacy.
As COVID-19 has spread across the globe, our work in Algeria and Libya has expanded to include Lifeline training for media outlets around how media and communication can save lives.
We are also proud of our past work in Syria, Lebanon, Tunisia and the Palestinian Territories, where we have worked extensively in both immediate humanitarian crises and in the longer-term to bridge divides and build understanding.
- Meet the El Kul teamMeet the team at El Kul, our news and current affairs digital platform covering Libya in all its diversity.
- Al Mirbad: A platform for the peopleAl Mirbad is a trusted household name in Iraq - but amid the pandemic, it is struggling to make ends meet.
- COVID-19 in Iraq: How public interest media can save livesA pop song about protecting yourself from COVID-19 is on loudspeakers outside a Baghdad hospital and has racked up over 9 million views on YouTube. Broadcaster Al Mirbad is a rare and trusted voice for news and information in Basra – read more about its vital work during the pandemic.
- Balancing an unbalanced media scene in LibyaAli Sharif from our North Africa team talks about the importance of our project El Kul (For Everyone) in bridging societal divides in Libya.
- Changing perspective – the power of vertical videoSyrian refugee crisis