- Our office: London-based team
- Our areas of focus: Media development
- Our partners: The UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, European Union
About our work
Eastern Europe and the Caucasus are home to our project, Support to Independent Media in the Eastern Partnership Countries. This is a multi-country effort to support independent public interest media to produce robust, accurate and impartial journalism and creative content that bridges divides and opens conversation and debate. We have also been working with Ukraine’s public broadcaster, UA:PBC, as it transitions away from a state model. This includes support for a modern newsroom and the development of multi-platform programming that provides trusted information and a forum for debate and discussion, on issues ranging from political and economic news to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Latest newsRead all our latest news
- Public interest broadcasting from the frontlines in UkraineHow Suspilne is bringing trusted information to audiences in wartime
- Perugia Declaration for UkraineWe stand in solidarity with public interest media and journalists covering the war in Ukraine. Read the Perugia declaration (leads to a third party site).
- Our statement on UkraineWe stand with colleagues and media partners as they cover the war in Ukraine under incredibly challenging conditions. Read our statement and support our crisis appeal.
- Why women in journalism need to be part of pandemic and conflict recoveryOur media partners in Ukraine are continuing to broadcast under difficult conditions - and women journalists face particular challenges. Our project manager, Julie Boutros, examines how to best support them - now and in the future.
- The struggle to remain independent – Georgia’s NetgazetiOver the last decade, Netgazeti.ge, an online Georgian- and Russian-language news portal in Tbilisi, has covered conflict, political turmoil and COVID-19, in a challenging environment.
- Understanding media audiences in GeorgiaOur Georgian media partners wanted to understand how to better serve their audiences. Our researchers uncovered some fascinating insights.
- Meet Suspilne: a rebranded, modern broadcaster in UkraineIn autumn 2021, our partner in Ukraine, Suspilne (Public), unveiled its a modern newsroom that will form the central hub for its rebranded operations. Read about the process with our partners here.
Our projects in Europe and Caucasus
- Support to independent media in the Eastern Partnership countriesWe are working in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus to support public interest media.
- Supporting Ukraine’s new Public Service BroadcasterThrough two projects, we’re supporting the newly-established National Public Broadcaster in Ukraine, UA:PBC, to improve its capacity as an independent, impartial news broadcaster.
- Supporting independent news in UkraineMedia Action is working on a Good Governance Fund-supported programme to enhance the capacity of the Ukrainian TV station – Hromadske TV.
Past projects in Europe and Caucasus
- Reducing tension in Ukraine through youth-focused drama5baksiv (5 bucks) was a TV drama aiming to improve understanding between different groups of young people in Ukraine through comedy, debate and discussion.
Where we work
- In Africa Delve into our projects in Africa which range from media training to radio and TV programmes to tackle key development issues. Learn more here.
- In AsiaExplore the breadth of our projects in Asia which achieve impact through innovative mobile phone services, TV debate shows and traditional street theatre.
- In Middle East & North AfricaLearn more about our longstanding media training projects and programmes that strengthen media development and provide a forum for trusted dialogue.
- In Europe & CaucasusOur projects increase trusted, inclusive and independent media programming to help people make sense of events in their countries and engage in dialogue – ultimately bringing societies together.